PDA

View Full Version : Basic project not updating

AlanHA
04-04-2002, 01:26 PM
I created a Basic project with 1 feature and several components with files and shortcuts. I then tried to update the project adding a component with a shortcut and files. After building the release and trying the install, the shortcut and files I added are not getting installed. What am I doing wrong?

Mario Noack
04-06-2002, 07:36 AM
Look at http://www.installsite.org/ -> Windows Installer -> Tips&Tricks -> Update Rules
OR
-> Windows Installer -> Technicle Article -> Component, package, product and upgrade codes in Windows Installer
There you will find many informations.

Otherwise you must give more informations. Minor or Major Upgrade? Settings in Upgrade table...

AlanHA
04-08-2002, 08:15 AM
I don't think the problem occurs when the install is run, I believe the problem is during the build process.

I changed the Package Code and the Product Code, then rebuilt, and the install still did not copy the new files or shortcut I added.

Further, I install on a machine that didn't have the previous version installed, and got the same result.

It doesn't look like the build is correct.

Happy Days
04-08-2002, 08:28 AM
Hi,

I encountered a similar problem with the shortcut not getting updated when doing the major upgrade on a already installed product. The files gets installed properly though.

I then try change the name of the shortcut and that works. If your files are also not installing, please let me know the entries you have made in the Upgrade table.

Since you are encountering this for a Fresh Installation also, it seems a hummm.....

Please check the following:
1. You have set no conditions for that feature.
2. You have included that feature in the build.
3. The files that you have included, are actually located in the correct place on the development machine.

Thanks...