PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance Install Always Installs Old Version

sgraber
04-04-2002, 12:17 PM
When I install a product for the 2nd time, the maintenance install always installs the old product files.

I deleted the bin directory and installed the new product version and the install went back an installed the old file versions.

Does a maintenance install (OnMaintUIBefore...) only install old versions of the product? Is there a way to get a maintenance install to install new file versions?

Martin R.
04-05-2002, 12:19 AM
Do you mean a repair??? Msiexec has some options to say if you want to use the cached msi or the new one...

sgraber
04-05-2002, 08:55 AM
I don't know if repair is the word or not. This is the repair option in the OnMainUI, but we are installing a new version. Is there a way to tell the msi to use the new set of files?

Happy Days
04-05-2002, 08:59 AM
Hi,

Are you running the setup from the Add/Remove program ? I hope NO.

Let me know if you have added the files in the same component/features or in the newer ones? If there are any new, then you need to select the 'Modify' option.

sgraber
04-05-2002, 09:13 AM
I am not running from the add/remove programs. I am running the new install script.

I only have one feature and I am selecting the feature by calling the FeatureReinstall() function.

Happy Days
04-05-2002, 12:49 PM
Hi,

That is the function of Repair option. It will always reinstall the old files.

You have to select the MODIFY option and select the feature to copy the new files.

gbaroni
04-09-2002, 05:53 AM
I have the same problem: I woul'd like to upgrade an existing installation with a new setup. This setup is same of previous version, but the difference is the files inside that is newer. What function I must call, to do this ? :confused:

Thank you in advance, for all suggestion.

sgraber
04-09-2002, 06:58 AM
I just received a response from the Install Shield tech support on this issue. He said this was a bug in Install Shield 7.02 and the developers are working on it.

Its too bad none of the IS moderators on this forum could have mentioned this. It costed me 3 days last week trying to figure out why this didn't work and it turns out to be a bug...

And Install Shield expects us to pay them for 'support'.

gbaroni
04-09-2002, 07:10 AM
Thank you srgaber for reply. Now we must wait for Devoloper 7.03 official fix pack (the last 7.02 beta version I have tried, was not compatible with official 7.02 upgrade, so I don't want install 7.03 beta version), and hope this fix our problem.

LeverichJ
04-09-2002, 12:35 PM
I am having a similiar problem. When I use the FeatureReinstall(); I get an error message stating that a valid source was not found and to read the help file. I installed the first install from a CD and now installing the update via a network. Of course, if I insert the CD it will work (installs old files), but that defeats the purpose since the new files are on the network. This same error message also occurs when I am installing the second update from a CD.

Inside the OnMaintUIBefore is where I am calling the FeatureReinstall().

Does anyone know when 7.03 will be released?

I've spent way too much time trying to fix this problem only to find out it's a bug. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm tempted to return the product and use something else.

Josiah

sgraber
04-09-2002, 03:23 PM
I just received notification from IS tech support that it will be released sometime in April.