PDA

View Full Version : Remove standard project with msiexec /x

Willibrordus
04-04-2002, 07:02 AM
If I remove a standard project with the following commandline options:
msiexec /x productcode /qn

The program is removed but it is still visible in the Add/Remove programs files applet
Anohter problem is that the condition "if (!MAINTENANCE) then .."
in the OnBegin( ) function isn't working. The MAINTENANCE system variable is propably not set.

If I use no ui switch I will get the same results after the program is removed.

When the UI switch /qr is used I got the following error message: !: This installation can not be run by directly launching the MSI package, you must run setup.exe.

Removing the program by clicking the program name in the add/remove programs applet is working correct.

I have the following questions:
- why the difference in behaviour of removing the program
- how should I remove a standard installation by commandline. I want to have a choice to use different UI ( no UI or only progress bar without user interaction)

Mario Noack
04-04-2002, 07:06 AM
http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?pcode=WIND700E&articleid=Q105808

Willibrordus
04-04-2002, 09:02 AM
Thanks Mario but I also want to know how to remove a standard installation by the command line. I want to have a choice to use different UI ( no UI or only progress bar without user interaction).

This is usefull when you want to remove a program with a batch file or with anohter setup program.

I couldn't find any options that I can use with the IDriver. Is there documentation on the IDriver?

Mario Noack
04-04-2002, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Willibrordus
Thanks Mario but I also want to know how to remove a standard installation by the command line.

what's the problem. In Q105808 you get the name of application and paramters. There is no difference for an application between call by commandline or by shortcut.

Originally posted by Willibrordus
I want to have a choice to use different UI ( no UI or only progress bar without user interaction).

Sorry, I don't know. But no UI for removing is not good for user...

Willibrordus
04-04-2002, 11:03 AM
My question was not clear.

I can remove the program by the command line but I want to remove the program wihtout any user interaction.

Depending on the Enable Maintance property I will get a Welcome dialog or not. After this I must confirm the uninstall and the last action is to finish the removal by clicking the finish button on the Maintenance Complete dialog.

I want to have an option that will bypass this user interface actions simulair to the UI options of the MSIEXEC.

This is may not good for the user but it is handy have when another install should remove this installation.

LewisQ
04-04-2002, 11:59 AM
Did you try /x{GUID} /q?

Willibrordus
04-05-2002, 02:24 AM
Now I have tried to remove the program with the /q option but it has the same result as the /qn option. This is logical because both option /q and /qn are doing the same, no UI. But when the program is installed with a standaard project we got strange behaviour.