PDA

View Full Version : InstallShield Woes



Kryten67
04-03-2002, 02:11 PM
Where do I begin...

Env: Win2k Server SP2, InstallShield Developer 7.01, 7.02, 7.03 beta
Also installed: InstallShield 5.1 and 6.1

My original problem:
Added a simple SETUP.RUL script to project and a custom action. Builds successfully, but attempting to run the setup immediately results in a "Setup was interrupted" message and aborts the setup without further information. Custom action simply returns ERROR_SUCCESS, although other return values were tested. If I remove/delete all of the custom actions etc, I can get the build to run and install.

I attempted to uninstall and reinstall the product since it wasn't listing ANY languages as available during "build wizard".

After successfully uninstalling and reinstalling the "Check for updates" menu option no longer works, it does nothing .. nada .. no feedback, error.

Sometimes Tools/Options results in a "Error writing to registry" message. After reviewing registry security this was fixed, but no explanation as to why registry security would have been defined incorrectly.

But STILL no languages are available as an option in release wizard, check-for-updates is still broken, and it's impossible to define a custom-action with script that doesnt cause the install to immediately abort the setup.

I've lost count of the number of times I've uninstalled/reinstalled and tried to purge the registry of anything related to installshield.

What am I missing ? *IS* there a way to REALLY uninstall this program and get it working ?

MartinMarkevics
04-03-2002, 05:17 PM
Can you contact me offline, martinm@installshield.com. It would probably be easier to go back and forth via e-mail and then once the issue is resolved, I will let everyone know what we find. I don't know off the top of my head what is causing the issue(s), but we can start to narrow things down when you shoot me a mail. Thanks.

Kryten67
04-03-2002, 05:34 PM
I managed to finally fix it.

I deleted all files from all previous versions of InstallShield.
I also deleted every reference from every object in the registry. Notably, a lot of CLSID info had some duplicates.

Now of course, I'll have to probably mess up Developer7 when I try to get 6.1 working which I still have to use on occasion... but that's for another day :)