PDA

View Full Version : Sluggish mouse movement on demo...

eposty
04-03-2002, 09:47 AM
I have created a bare bones CD Browser from an existing one that was created in DemoShield 6.x and imported into DemoShield 7.01.

The mouse movement is very choppy and sluggish and it moves very slow frequently.

The main screen only has 5 buttons on it and a very small bitmap, but this is happening. When this project was in 6.x, it was smooth and fluent and it had more stuff on it than what there is now.

Anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

Thanks.

KimberlyH
04-08-2002, 09:21 AM
Would it be possible for you to send a copy of the demo file so I can test this issue further and see what may be causing the sluggish mouse movement?

If so, please zip up the demo file and either attach to a posting on the community (if under 2 megs in size), or you can upload it to our ftp server at: ftp://ftp.installshield.com/incoming.

Username: anonymous
Password: your email address

Once the file has been uploaded, send me a posting letting me know the filename and that the file is available.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Dave Brown
04-08-2002, 11:50 AM
Same problem here. This demo was working fine. Now running v7.0 under WinXP the cursor is very sluggish.

My demo is on a CD-ROM with Installshield installation. I installed the CD on my Win98 machine and the cursor works as smooth as silk. When I install the CD on my WinXP, the very same demo exhibits very jerky cursor operation when moved over hotspots. The only difference is the OS.

This demo uses the v7.0 player. So, it looks to me like a player problem with WinXP.

Dave Brown
04-09-2002, 07:08 PM
Upon further investigation, I notice that the cursor action even in the Demoshield 7.0 editor is sluggish under WinXP -- while it was smooth under Win98.

For example, try rearranging demo elements by dragging them around the Demo Explorer. Very sluggish under WinXP, right?

Now try running a demo with hotspots in the editor. Arghhh...!

Whatever it is, it's consistent!

KimberlyH
04-10-2002, 03:22 PM
Please make sure you have the latest maintenance release for DemoShield 7.0. If you have not done so already, you can download the latest release from the following URL:

www.installshield.com/downloads (http://www.installshield.com/downloads)

Also, if you can provide a sample of a demo that displays this behavior, I would be happy to test this issue further.

All the best,

Dave Brown
07-30-2003, 04:47 AM
Kim,

I'm really embarassed to ask you this, but I had a problem with "jerky" mouse action a couple of years ago and you found the problem -- a stupid mistake on my part.

Now I have the problem again, but my brain can't remember the fix you recommended. And it wasn't posted with this thread.

A sample is attached. Can you reproduce/spot my problem?

TIA,

Dave Brown

KimberlyH
07-30-2003, 10:18 AM
If my memory is correct the change that I made to the demo was to place the background image as a fill to the scene properties rather than using an AutoShape Object on top of the scene.

You can do this by first deleting the AutoShape Object "Control Panel".

Next, open the Scene Properties and go to the Fill Styles tab.

Select Image as the fill option and then select the background image.

Close out of the properties and save the demo. You should now see an improvement in demo playback.

I am attaching a revised copy of the demo for you to work with.

All the best,

Dave Brown
07-31-2003, 08:08 AM
Thanks Kim.

I'll try to remember that for the future. Always put the scene background in the Scene Property Fill.

I appreciate your prompt response!

Dave

hyl7596
08-05-2003, 11:09 AM
I'm also experiencing the same issue with choppy mouse movement. My demo has a quick animation on the background to create actions. Each time I move the mouse, the action slightly pauses and resumes. Is there a way to make the demo smoother?

Hank

KimberlyH
08-11-2003, 01:59 PM
With a Quick Animation in the background DemoShield is continually processing the images being used to display the animation. Because of this, when the cursor is moved at all DemoShield will pause temporarily to provide enough resources to process the cursor movement and any actions triggered by the movement.

To reduce the amount of pausing that occurs during playback you may want to consider converting the Quick Animation to an Animated GIF image. An animated gif can be imported as an image resource and used within an AutoShape Object.

I hope this helps.