PDA

View Full Version : registering ocx

Peter Richards
03-22-2002, 02:35 AM
I am having difficulty with registering an ocx. The file alraedy exists on the machine. The only depenedency is the VB run time file which I include as a merge module. How do you get it to install before the ocx registers? So far this has stumperd me but the program works as the original ocx is there. but it looks ugly from a customer point of view.
peter richards

Chandima
03-22-2002, 09:18 AM
What version of Express are you using? This is quite unlikely because the InstallFiles action (action that copies all files) is performed a long time before the SelfRegModules action (action that registers files). What if you set the ocx file's Registration property to Extract COM Info? This way all the registration information is extracted at build time and no registration is done at runtime.

Peter Richards
03-22-2002, 10:18 AM
I have used the extract COM info option. The ocx does not register manually. The VB runtime is the only dependancy and is included in the build. (I have run depends). Now what?
peter richards

johnhind
03-22-2002, 02:03 PM
What do you mean by "The ocx does not register manually" ?

Does the ocx register ok if you use regsvr32.exe from a command prompt ?

john

Peter Richards
03-22-2002, 09:50 PM
Yes - that's exactly what's up. The ocx is already registered by another app installed with Installshield which it installs no problem. When I use the current application, the ocx works fine. its just that i get this message which will concern customers who are installing this application.
peter richards

johnhind
03-23-2002, 08:46 AM
What is the message you get ? Can you explain what hapens ?

An ocx should re-register without problems.

John