PDA

View Full Version : Licensing Training CD and DS for Mac

wudtwu
03-18-2002, 10:00 PM
We are developing a training CD for a course using Demoshield. We would like to license the use of this training CD. Is there a way to do it.

Also, many students use Mac's. Is there a DemoShield player that will run on the Mac.

Thanks much for your help.

wudt

KimberlyH
03-19-2002, 10:55 AM
When you mention the ability to license the use of the training CD, are you intending on installing the DemoShield presentation on the end user's system, or simply running the demo from a CD?

Unfortunately, DemoShield does not have the ability to license the demo presentation. You can use an Edit Field Object to require the user to enter a serial number or registration number before running the demo. However, this number will be the same for all CDs that are shipped.

If you are installing the presentation on the end user's system you could use an installation software that will allow you to enter a serial number or registration number for registration purposes.

As for playback on the Mac operating system, DemoShield is currently only supported on Windows platforms.

I hope this helps.

wudtwu
03-19-2002, 11:17 AM
Thank you for your reply.

It does not matter whether we run the demo from CD or after installation on the computer. We would like to limit its use only to the person who pay for the training CD.

There are licensing software which can put a "wrap" around demo32.exe and you have to have a license to use it. Then, you can always get a regular unwrapped demo32.exe to run the presentation. So, this doesn't work.

We do not mind writing a small program to limit its use. I was reading the Help Manual. You have this Application Object with which you can run an application. If we write a small program and this is run in the First Scene. In this small program, the user must enter a license key which is locked to the Computer Disk ID. If the key is valid, it will go to the next scene which is the start of the program. Do you think this is possible?

Now, can the user bypass this scene and go straight to the second scene and go on, using the presentation files in the directory.

Thanks for your help.

D. T. Wu
DTW Associates, Inc.

KimberlyH
03-19-2002, 04:23 PM
When launching an external application, DemoShield cannot directly interact with it to process further instructions for the demo playback.

However, you may be able to do the following:

Using an Event Object, perform a Launch Application action (with the wait for application to end option selected) to launch the licensing application.

Based on the license key the user enters, the application will write a value to an .ini file.

If the Permanently Save Variable option is selected within the Global Variables, DemoShield will create an .ini to reference during demo playback.

After the Launch Application action, use a Go To Scene action to take the demo to a different scene.

The new scene can be set up to check the value of one of the Global Variables (which has been given a value from the licensing application).

Based on the returned value, the demo can either continue or quit.

Another option is, to set up the licensing to launch the demo if the key is valid. For example, the end user will launch this application and enter their license key. If the key is valid, launch the DemoShield Player (demo32.exe) and specify the .dbd filename. If the key is not valid, then stop there.

I hope this helps.

wudtwu
03-19-2002, 04:48 PM
Again thank you for your help.

Regarding the first option, I need to study the Help file to learn more about what you are saying.

Regading the second option, it appears to me that if the user has demo32.exe, can he/she simply click on it to start the presentation, after selecting the .dbd file.

wudtwu
03-19-2002, 07:37 PM
I have one more question. When Demo32.exe terminates, it shows for a few seconds that this is DemoShield. Is it possible to surpress the showing of DemoShield Icon.

D. T. Wu
DTW Associates, Inc.

KimberlyH
03-20-2002, 08:48 AM
The closing splash cannot be removed from the DemoShield presentation. However, you can incorporate your own closing splash to appear above the DemoShield closing splash. The following Knowledge Base article will walk you through doing this:

Q105135 - HOWTO: Incorporating Your Own Closing Splash Screen that Will Appear Above the DemoShield Closing Splash Screen When you Exit Out of your DemoShield Demo

All the best,