PDA

View Full Version : MPG plays without WMP

jwsnlutz
03-09-2002, 05:39 PM
I have writtena custom demo and included streaming media objects, that play mpg video clips. I built a check for the majorversion of the windows media player and it seems to check for the version fine. My question is, when I remove the windows media player and run the demo, it still plays the videos and the check for the WMP version does not catch that it is not on the computer. I really wanted to have a demo that if the user did not have the software to run the video, I would catch it and give them the option to install it. Any ideas, if I need to perform this check, or will Demoshield always play video clips that are imported into the demo with an external WMP.
Thanks,

KimberlyH
03-11-2002, 01:53 PM
To help me understand this issue further I will need some additional information.

How do you have your demo set up to check for the version number of Windows Media Player?

Would it be possible for you to send me a copy of your demo so I can test this issue further?

What operating systems have you tested this on?

Are you completely uninstalling Windows Media Player from the operating system?

I look forward to hearing from you.

jwsnlutz
03-13-2002, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the reply Kimberly:

I use a custom event propertie to check the majorversion of the media player.
I removed the windows media player from the registry as well.

Any ideas,

Thanks
JWS

KimberlyH
03-14-2002, 05:38 PM
I tested this issue on a couple of different systems and was not able to find a way of fully uninstalling Windows Media Player from the operating system.

To find out of some files for the Media Player still exist on the system you can use a Quick Report Object to display the value for the Global Variable - MediaPlayerMajorVersion.

Please try the following to see what DemoShield is detecting for the Media Player Major Version.

Create a Quick Report Object in the intro scene of your demo.
Open the Quick Report Properties and go to the Object Styles tab.
Select the Insert Token button.
For the Scene Name, select the Scene you are working on.
For the Object, select Mediaplayermajorversion.
Click OK.
The following Token should be displayed in the properties:

<Global.MediaPlayerMajorVersion>

Click OK to close out of the Quick Report Properties.

Save and run your demo through the Player. The Quick Report will display the value being returned for the Media Player Major Version.

I hope this helps.