PDA

View Full Version : Hot Links in Text

swawa3@cox.net
02-28-2002, 01:37 AM
Greetings,

Is there a way to have words within a text block be a hot link to another scene or object? This would be very common within HTML and virtually any web page.

Steve Walters

Shawna
02-28-2002, 09:47 AM
Steve,

You can use a Quick Link Object, which acts much like an HTML hypertext link. You can assign Actions to a Quick Link Object, so you can have it view an Internet URL or go to another Scene, etc.

It sounds as if you want to have one word in a sentence be the link. For example, you want to display a sentence that says "Click here to see something" and only have the word "here" be a link. For this, I would suggest making a Text Object that says "Click here to see something" and a Quick Link Object that says "here" and aligning the Quick Link Object over the Text Object so they appear as one.

As a follow up to that, I notice that you also posted about using scrolling Text Objects. If you put a Quick Link Object over a Text Object that has a scrolling bar, when the user scrolls, the Quick Link Object will not follow the text it was covering, so you don't want to use the above suggestion if you are using the scrolling bar.

I hope this helps.

swawa3@cox.net
02-28-2002, 11:37 AM
Thanks Shawana,

I had already figured out the Quick Link workaround... it was specifically within the scrolling text that I needed it. In that case as you say, it won't work.

It would be cool if Demoshield added this feature:

Highlight a word/text in a text field.
Right mouse click for actions to be taken on that word.
One action would be "Make a hot link" (naturally... this is what I need).
Another action would be to change color. I don't see any way to change the color of individual words in a text field. This is such a basic functinoality that I question that DEMOshild is really at V7.

I behaves more like V 3 or 4.

Shawna
02-28-2002, 02:35 PM
Steve,

You can have a Text Object where the individual words are a different colors/size/font. Make sure you have the Multi-style option picked in the Object Styles tab. In the edit field where you type the text, you can change the properties of the text.

Hope this helps.

swawa3@cox.net
02-28-2002, 05:22 PM
Thanks Shawna,

You can see that I am a noob... so I appreciated the quick tip.

I am RTFM'ing as fast as I can as I actually develop a CD ROM for a client.

-Steve