PDA

View Full Version : Unusable Scroll Text

swawa3@cox.net
02-28-2002, 01:20 AM
Greetings,
I have a scene that is dominated by a text box with a border and scroll bar.

Either in the editor or when running the demo, the scrolling of that text is so slow as to be unusable.

Is there a reason or fix?

Steve Walters

KimberlyH
02-28-2002, 11:31 AM
The Text Object Scroll Bars in DemoShield are set up to allow the user to either click through the text line by line or to be able to select the scroll bar slide bar and slide the text up and down.

I hope this helps.

swawa3@cox.net
02-28-2002, 12:12 PM
Thanks Kim,

As I said, the clicking is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO slow at moving the text and the grab-and-scroll is alos very, very slow at moving the text within the box.

It makes the feature virtually unusable. It just doesn't seem to scroll very well at all. Not to mention that there is no mouse wheel funtionality.

I've noticed that performance in general is questionable. The mouse pointer jitters around when the demo is playing, transitions seem slow.

And I'm running demos on a fat system:
Windows 2000 Pro
1Ghz Athalon
512MB Memory

Jippy-
02-28-2002, 12:29 PM
Hi Steve,

Nice 'form-letter' reply they gave you, eh?

Yeah, that's just the way DemoShield is. I'm sure they're aware of the problem since it's been like that since DemoShield 5. I would not recommend using those scroll boxes. We did only once, and our customers hated it.

Regarding the mouse jittering and slow transitions, I can't say I've ever seen them. We've been using DemoShield for a few years and haven't noticed anything like that. Your computer seems to have plenty of resources for DemoShield to run properly. Do you have any other processes going on in the background?

=-Jason

swawa3@cox.net
02-28-2002, 12:57 PM
Thanks Jippy,

Good advice. I'm a noob so I'll look at the other performance issues as being developer error.

Its REALLY good to know when it's the software and not you... thanks for the scrollbar info.

-Steve

Jippy-
02-28-2002, 12:58 PM
No problem. Feel free to ask anytime.

=-Jason

k_e_moeller
02-28-2002, 03:57 PM
I've not tried the scrolling text but here is a thought: many scroll wheel mice come with a driver CD or floppy, which I generally ignore, as most Windows apps recognize the scroll wheel without it. You might consider whether you actually DID install the driver, without which DS feels free to ignore your scrolling. If you did not, try installing the driver and see if DS behaves any differently.

swawa3@cox.net
02-28-2002, 05:16 PM
Excellent thought Karl!

I in fact did NOT install the included driver.

What a smart guy you are.

Steve Walters