PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Jet 4.0

Brad Skidmore
02-27-2002, 07:15 PM
I am currently using InstallShield Express 3.03.
the install package currently uses merge modules for DAO3.6 which is tied to MDAC2.5.

Here is the problem...
MDAC2.5 includes Microsoft Jet 4.0 vs 4.0.2927.4 or earlier I am not 100% but I think the actual version it includes is msjetoledb40.dll vs 4.0.2927.2. There are some bugs associated with applications using 4.0.2927.4 or lower according to Microsoft Support article http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q257408

Sometimes when compacting and reapairing through this older version, the autonumber field duplicates previous values.

Well I would like to include the latest version of msjetoledb40.dll and would like to use Merge module, but I can't find any. I think there are over 15 Dll's that must be included with the latest version. The thing that is really bothering me is that the Microsoft support page goes on about how you need to download 1 of 4 different downloads depending upon what Windows platform you are running, from win 95 to XP.

I come to find out that the 2.6 and 2.7 MDAC merge modules do not include Jet components at all.

So How in the heck to I include the correct versions? (My installation package is required to support all Win OS from 98 to XP) If I continue to use DAO3.6 merge module I must continue to include MDAC2.5 since the two are linked. I am lost as to how I go about including the Sevice packs in my Installation so that we will upgrade all the differing Win OS to the correct Jet 4.0 .

And another thing ...
Why has this become so difficult any how ? Every MDAC after 2.5 seems to have messed up everything for JET components!

Lost in the dark

Brad
:confused:

johnhind
03-11-2002, 08:15 AM
Brad

Totally agree that MS has made life very difficult for everyone.

Using DAO is always going to be a thorn in your side, as ADO is preferred and better supported. Converting isn't difficult, and there's a lot of info to help you.

One idea to solve your problem, might be to run the Jet 4 service pack as a custom action at the end of the installation.

Have you tried using the mdac 2.6 merge module and the Jet 4 merge module ?

John

0tproy0
03-22-2002, 10:18 AM
I have been having the same stupid problems with MDAC/Jet.

From what I have gathered in my few days of research on the topic I have to agree.

Include the MM for MDAC 2.6+ and add a custom action for the Jet4.0 executable.

I don't understand why this has to be so complicated, just reading about the different MDAC flavors was a pain in the butt.

good luck.