PDA

View Full Version : error message: definition file...

alicehutchings
02-25-2002, 10:40 AM
Hi,

I have just used DemoShield for the first time.
When I run launch.exe DemoShield starts. I have 4 products to install and 3 of them run and install with no problems. However, with the 4th application, when I click on the button to run the applications setup.exe from DemoShield, the setup starts to run. I get as far as the status bar saying the setup is about to load, then I receive the following error message: (See attached)
Has anyone else had a problem like this?

Thanks,
Alice

KimberlyH
02-25-2002, 02:23 PM
To help me understand this issue further I will need some additional information.

Are you able to run the install outside of DemoShield without any difficulties?

What actions do you have assigned to the Launch Application action?

What operating system are you working on?

Would it be possible for you to send me the .dbd file so I can look into this further?

I look forward to hearing from you.

alicehutchings
02-26-2002, 04:43 AM
Hi Kimberly,

With regards to your queries:

Are you able to run the install outside of DemoShield without any difficulties? - Yes.

What actions do you have assigned to the Launch Application action? - Please see attached.

What operating system are you working on? - Windows NT Workstation 4.0, service pack 6a.

Would it be possible for you to send me the .dbd file so I can look into this further? - Please see attached.
Thanks for you help.
Regards,
Alice

alicehutchings
02-26-2002, 04:47 AM
Sorry - had problems attaching files.

alicehutchings
02-26-2002, 04:49 AM
I can't attach the .dbd file. Is there another way I could send this to you?
Alice

KimberlyH
02-26-2002, 12:02 PM
If you are unable to zip the file and attach it to a posting in this community you can upload the file to our ftp server at: ftp://ftp.installshield.com/incoming

Username is: anonymous
Password is: your email address

Once you have uploaded the file, please post a message letting me know it is available and the filename.

alicehutchings
02-26-2002, 12:05 PM
Sorry - didn't read the valid file extensions properly! Thought it was only images. I've now attached the required zip.
Alice

KimberlyH
02-26-2002, 12:33 PM
I took a look at your demo file and have some suggestions for you to try.

1. I would recommend using the Path Token (<path>) around the application path to ensure DemoShield is going to the correct location. Therefore, the path should look something like this: <path>Seagull LMS\Setup.exe<path>

2. Try using a Pause Demo action right before the Launch Application action to pause the demo before launching the application. This will not disrupt the demo playback.

3. Select the Set Current Working Directory option within the Action Settings.

Please let me know if any of these suggestions corrected the issue for you. Also, what software are you using to build the installlation? You may want to try adding a /SMS in the Application Command Line to see if that helps.

alicehutchings
02-27-2002, 05:46 AM
Hi Kimberly,

I have had a go at making the changes you suggested:

1. I would recommend using the Path Token (<path> ) around the application path to ensure DemoShield is going to the correct location. Therefore, the path should look something like this: <path>Seagull LMS\Setup.exe<path>
This gives me the DemoShield error: The "setup.exe" application could not be located. Please insert the next disk and press OK to continue.

2. Try using a Pause Demo action right before the Launch Application action to pause the demo before launching the application. This will not disrupt the demo playback.
I have done this, and I still recive the same error: Definition file. \LMS\SETUP.exe is from a different version.

3. Select the Set Current Working Directory option within the Action Settings.
This made no change to my demo visually.

Also, what software are you using to build the installlation?
I am using DemoShield 7.0.

You may want to try adding a /SMS in the Application Command Line to see if that helps.
I didn't notice any changes.

I have now changed the path to the application to "Seagull LMS\Setup.exe" (i.e. included speech marks). This results in the error message: The "setup.exe" application caould not be located. Please insert the next disk and press OK to continue. and when I click on OK to continue, the setup runs perfectly! Therefore, if I change the "Message to display if application not found" to none, and the setup runs.

Very bizarre, but at least I now have a working DemoShield. Thanks for all your help.
Alice

KimberlyH
02-27-2002, 11:24 AM
From the information you provided I believe there may be a problem either in the directory structure or where the demo is being launched from. When using the Path Tokens (<path>) in the application path line and receiving the error that DemoShield cannot find the file, indicates that the path to the file being launched may not be correct.

Can you provide the layout for your directory structure? Also, how are you launching your demo (ie: from the designer, via the launch executable, by double-clicking on the demo.32.exe or the *.dbd file)?

alicehutchings
02-27-2002, 11:33 AM
Hi Kimberly,

I am launching the demo by double clicking on the launch.exe.

Folder structure is as follows:
Root of CD:
autorun.inf
launch.exe
launch.inf
bin (Folder)
Seagull LMS (Folder)
Other application folders containing their setup.exe's

In the Segull LMS folder:
Setup.exe
Other files needed by the programs setup.exe.

Regards,
Alice

KimberlyH
02-27-2002, 04:04 PM
Based on the directory structure you provided please try the following:

In your Launch Application action, use the following path to your application:

<path>..\Seagull LMS\setup.exe<path>

After you have done this, save the demo. Then, test the demo playback by executing the launch.exe file.

I hope this helps.

alicehutchings
02-28-2002, 04:28 AM
Thanks Kimberly, it worked perfectly! Should I change the paths to my other applications to keep the consistency or leave them as they are? Currently they are: Folder_Name\setup.exe.
Alice

KimberlyH
02-28-2002, 11:28 AM
Yes, I would recommend editing those paths as well to make sure the Launch Application actions are consistent.

All the best,