PDA

View Full Version : Sound on Windows 95

steven.paradine
02-14-2002, 09:42 AM
Hello,
I have a training demo for a client that uses sound files (wav) in it. The following are the details of what was used: Demoshield 7.0, Quick Sound, start at 0 seconds into the scene, using a wav file sound resource, play sound and return, true action -> play sound. They are in the format (resource manager view) WAV file Audio format: ISO/MPEG Layer3, 22 Khz, 0-bit, Mono and not compressed. There are about twenty wav files varying in size from 50k to 750k.
This demo runs great on my machine (obviously) a Windows 2000 Professional. It also runs on Windows ME and Windows 98. I have tested a smaller app with my home Win 95 machine which worked fine too. The client has audio capabilities and can run the temporary wav files created properly, and I am told has run other demoshield applications successfully. However, within the demo no sound is heard.

Hope someone can help,

Thanks,

Steven

KimberlyH
02-14-2002, 10:53 AM
Are the sound files embedded or Imported by Reference?
If the sound files are Imported by Reference you will need to make sure a copy of the sound file resides in the same directory as the DemoShield Player (demo32.exe). If the demo is being tested from the Designer, DemoShield is using the DemoShield Player in the Program folder where DemoShield is installed on your system.

Does the user have a copy of the sound file in the Temp directory? If so, remove the file from that location and then try the demo again. When a sound is previewed from the DemoShield Designer, a copy of the sound file will be placed in the Temp directory. Sometimes this file does not get cleaned up properly and leaves a 0 byte file in the Temp directory. The next time the demo is launched, DemoShield sees that there is a resource with the same filename in the Temp directory and attempts to use that.

I hope this helps.

steven.paradine
02-14-2002, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the quick response. I am using an embedded wav file and the files are not showing up (empty) in the temp directory. However, the client has Windows Media Player, Real and QuickTime on his machine. The files run with Windows Media Player and Quicktime but not with Real (they open up but no sound comes out). The default wav player on his system is Windows Media Player, but I am wondering if Real is being called by Demoshield? If the file is renamed to a mp3 format it then runs with Real. The files were compressed with SoundForge originally. I am going to create a sample app with the mp3 file embedded to see if that works.

Steven

steven.paradine
02-14-2002, 01:49 PM
Latest update from my client testing

"I just tried to determine which player application is associated with DemoShield.
I put all of my players: real, media player, quicktime, in the recycle...
The .mp3 testsound file still works!! Apparently Demoshield uses its own player..
I conclude that (like the real player) it requires that the .xxx file type extension
agrees with the actual comprssion file type used. That is. a .wav that is compressed
using MPEG Layer 3 Audio needs to be identified with the .mp3 extension...

This seems to be the case in Win 95 but not in Win 98..... go figure!!

So, it looks like the fix is to have all the sound files renamed with the .mp3
extension."

Would you agree with the above statement?

Steven

KimberlyH
02-19-2002, 12:21 PM
When playing a sound file through DemoShield, DemoShield utilizes the MCI controls on the user's system to playback the sound. Therefore, it does not use any specific media player, but instead the controls associated on the system. Also, when playing the sound file, it will determine what format the file is and attempt to play it based on that. If the sound file is in MPEG 3 format, then it would be best to have the file extension identified at that. Otherwise this could cause some confusion during playback.

I hope this helps.