PDA

View Full Version : DemoX not updating and freezing IE

J Cummings
02-13-2002, 04:01 PM
I am trying to put a demo on the web with DemoX. I am using my own customized web page to hold the demo. Everything seemed to be working fine at first, but then I made a small change to my demo and overwrote the sce, res, and dx67 files on the server with the new ones. Specifically, I changed the title of each scene. The demo has 6 scenes. When I view the demo over the internet, the last four scenes appear correctly, but the first two remain unchanged. I am closing my browser to refresh and even rebooted my PC, but that doesn't change anything.

Other side issues that I found when I was trying to solve my first problem: Somtimes I am unable to close my browser (except through Task Manager). I think that DemoX is causing this. Does anyone know what the problem is?

I tried letting DemoShield create its own HTML page to try see if that would update the content of the demo, but that really messed things up. I can view the first page of the demo, but then when when a show action displays a button image, the problems start. The forward button is black instead of the actual image. And, when I click it, the demo area turns black.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Joy Cummings

KimberlyH
02-14-2002, 10:48 AM
Are you building your DemoX distribution to the server or to a local drive? I would highly recommend building the distribution to a clean folder, then remove the files you have on your server and upload the new distribution to a clean location.

Also, make sure you have the latest maintenance release for the version of DemoShield you are using. You can find these files in the download section of our website: www.installshield.com/downloads (http://)

I hope this helps.

J Cummings
02-14-2002, 11:25 AM
I am building my DemoX distribution to an emply folder on a local drive. Then, I remove the sce, res, and dx67 files from the server folder and then copy the new ones from my local folder to the server folder.

When I tried viewing the DemoX again this morning, the demo had refreshed and all scenes displayed properly. Apparently, there is some delay between posting and update. Or maybe the Demo files are stored in the server's cache and it needs to be cleaned out in order to update? Have you heard about anything like this before?

Also, I do have the 6.71 version, which I believe is the only maintenance release for version 6.7.

I was using two HTML pages to call the demo for testing purposes, one for inside our company's firewall and one for outside of our company's firewall. I think that the IE freeze-up was happening when I opened the outside page from inside the firewall, and the HTML file couldn't find the demo files.

I still don't understand why only some of the scenes wouldn't updated properly, but I guess that it's working OK for now. Any additional info would be appreciated though, in case we run into this again.

Thanks,
Joy