PDA

View Full Version : Deinstallationsystem doesn't work!

NewsArchive
10-10-2000, 12:00 AM
Hi,

only with NT 40 it's a problem. W2k works fine.
Your conditions don't apply.

Greetings,

Micha

"David Cole" <dlcole3@ibm.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:39D8C05D.D724E835@ibm.net...
> Micha,
>
> I am aware of three conditions which will result in being prompted for the
> source media:
>
> 1. Including ResolveSouce without the condition, Not Installed
> 2. Including "v" in the REINSTALLMODE
> 3. Uninstalling a product when a later version of the Windows Installer
> service has been installed.
>
> Might any of these apply?
>
> Cheers,
>
> David
>
> Michael Panzlaff wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I have a big problem with the Deinstallation. I am always asked to
insert
> > the CD with abc.msi. All Custom Actions ( and the ResolveSource-Action )
> > have as a Condition "NOT REMOVE" or "NOT Installed AND NOT REMOVE".
> >
> > Somebody has an idea?
> > Many thanks,
> >
> > Micha
>
> -------------------------------------------
> David L Cole - dlcole3 AT ibm DOT net
>
>

Christian_S
02-13-2002, 04:07 AM
Hi!

I have InstallShield Express 3.52 (german):

I define a program (exe-file) to run at the installation and the deinstallation of our software (two entries).

When I compile the setup.exe, there is no problem.

When I run the installation, the exe-file runs fine, there are no errors.

When I run the deinstallation (Windows2000), the exe-file is ignored. I tried all Dialogboxes (execute after ...), but it doesn't work.

Can anyone help me?

Kind greetings
Christian

Chandima
02-13-2002, 01:35 PM
What happens if you make a copy of this exe, rename it, and then call this renamed file to launch during the uninstall?

Terry Priebe
02-13-2002, 03:40 PM
Hello...

I've just now had the same problem using 3.53 (newly installed today):

I created a Custom Action for a file installed with the product.

I say - "Execute during UnInstallation"

I say - "Yes" to 'Wait for Action'

I say - "Yes" to 'Run Once', however this option becomes a "-1" after saving the project AND the 'Execute' automatically changes to "During Installation" when the project is reopened.

I have another Custom Action that executes properly on Installation.

The .exe works fine when manually executed.

I'll also appreciate help. Thanks

Terry Priebe
02-13-2002, 04:47 PM
Christian, I tried a number of combinations and the following one worked, i.e. the .exe fired during uninstall as desired.

Invoke: Before system changes
Wait for Action: Yes
Run Once (read only): Yes
Execute: During Uninstallation
Ignore Exit Code: Yes

There must be a number of undocumented or unprotected combinations that caused my earlier failures.

Christian_S
02-14-2002, 03:10 AM
Hello Terry!

Thank you for your hint.

Now it works ...

Greetings
Christian

Chandima
02-15-2002, 09:17 AM
Slight clarification. Were you both running in to this problem in Win2K only? If so, were you uninstalling using the "Remove" button on Win2K (instead of "Change" and then selecting Remove)? If so this is the expected behavior. Express Custom Action are binded to dialogs. That is the Custom Action is launched only when a "Next" or "Back" button is pressed. When you select "Remove" in the Win2K ARP it runs the uninstallation without any UI (dialogs) so none of the actions are triggered. However, setting it to launch "before System Changes" means that it is NOT dependent on a dialog, and that's why its working now.

Terry Priebe
02-15-2002, 09:40 AM
Chandima, good morning:

Yes, I was using Win2K... and I thought that was probably the case after finding the solution that worked. Thank you for your clarification.

It would be really helpful if this issue was included in "Help" or in a paper concerning "Custom Action". I had version 3.03 before and spent countless hours trying to figure out how this function worked during install and unstall. It didn't do what I had assumed it could from reading all that had been written.

In addition, I found that trying to modify a project using Custom Action and Setup Complete Success Dialog in 3.03 set up some unremovable conditions that, when I upgraded to 3.53, were not able to be fixed. What I had to do was take an earlier version of the project, one that I hadn't "tampered with" by trying to use those two functions - essentially a "clean" project - and then setting up the desired actions in 3.53.

The use of those two functions is particularly confusing to a non 3.53 user (at least this user).

Anyway, I'm now up-to-date and hope to avoid future confusion - of this type ;-)

Regards...