PDA

View Full Version : DS 7.0 dbd file won't play

Den7611
02-08-2002, 12:46 AM
I had been using DS 6.5 and it worked well. I upgraded to 7.0 and I can not get my work to play using "Run in Player" but it did work using the contols in the designer.

I then tried creating a CD Browser and that also didn't work, however if I clicked on demo32.exe and highlighted my dbd file it worked fine.

When it stoped playing I would have to end task the error message indicated "demoshield not responding"

In addition I can get mpg files to play when doing a preview while importing but they will not play within the demo at all.

Lastly I uninstalled the reinstalled demoshield twice. The first time everything worked for a little while but started the same problems as noted above. The second time it didn't make a difference.

I have been using 6.5 for several years and have had no problems like I have encountered with 7.0. I did the same work in 6.5 and it wored fine (6.5 is on my old computer) Both of my computers are running windows 98.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Den

KimberlyH
02-08-2002, 03:36 PM
You mention that you are using MPG videos in DemoShield. Here is a suggestion that may help.

Since DemoShield does not officially support MPG video format, we cannot garauntee the playback quality of that video format. However, In DemoShield 6.7 and 7.0 you can use the Streaming Media Object to stream the video files through Windows Media Player. Make sure the video is Imported by Reference, then use the Streaming Media Object to stream the video file through Windows Media Player. Since the file is Imported by Reference, you can specify the following path: <path>videoname.mpg<path>

Also, are your resources embedded or Imported by Reference? If you are using several video or sound files, or if your graphics are True color, I would recommend using the Import by Reference. This will reference the resource files locally rather than transfering them to the Temp directory during demo playback.

Would it be possible for you to send one of the demo files you are experiencing difficulties with?

Did you download the DemoShield software or receive it on CD? If you downloaded it, you may want to try redownloading to see if this corrects the issue.

Also, are you installing the full version over the eval version?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Den7611
02-08-2002, 06:24 PM
Hi Kim,

Thanks for the reply. I installed it from a CD and it was a full version.

I also tried it with an avi file and the same problem when trying to work it from "Run In Player.

It appears the demo32.exe file is not working correctly in the designer or compiled with CD browser, however when used in a CD browser the demo will play providing I start it by clicking on demo32.exe and opening the dbd file. It will not work correctly with the test.exe file I created.

I have imported the video files by reference and are not embedded in the demo. At this point there was only 2 scenes and 3 buttons.

I also noticed spell check doesn’t work. I deliberately misspelled words and it did not pick them up.

I can send you the files in a zip format if you would like. Please provide me the ftp server info and I will get it right out to you.

Thanks,
Den

KimberlyH
02-12-2002, 04:52 PM
Here are some suggestions that may help with your demo playback.

First, I would recommend downloading and installing the latest maintenance release for DemoShield 7.0 if you have not already done so. You can download the latest maintenance release for DemoShield from the following URL: http://www.installshield.com/downloads

Once you have installed the maintenance release, try doing a Save As of your demo file and save it under a different file name to ensure the demo has been converted to the DS 7.01 version.

For the video playback, if you have previewed the video through the Resource Manager, make sure a copy of the video is not in the Temp directory for your system. Sometimes, when a video is previewed, DemoShield will load a copy of the file to the systems Temp directory to play the video. When the video is stopped, the file may not have gotten cleaned out properly, leaving a 0 byte file. Then, when you attempt to play the demo and view the video, DemoShield sees that there is a resource with the same filename in the Temp directory and attempts to use that.

Since your videos are Imported by Reference, make sure a copy of the video is in the same directory as the DemoShield Player (demo32.exe). If you are running the demo from the Control menu | Run in Player, DemoShield is using the DS Player from the Program folder where DemoShield is installed on your system. If you are running your demo from a distribution build, then DemoShield is using the DS Player from the build directory.

I hope this helps.

Den7611
02-14-2002, 11:04 AM
Hi Kim,

Thanks for the info on the video. I have some experience using demoshield and have several programs out in the market that are working well.

The video was just a minor problem compared to my main problem with playback of timed images within a scene.

As noted before there appears to be a problem with the demox32.exe file not working properly while testing and creating a CD Browser.

In my project on the menu there are several buttons. All of them work fine and play that scene OK but one. The one that has a problem is where I have about 6 images that appear and disappear while it plays that scene. This worked fine with 6.5 version but doesn’t work with 7.0 with the maintenance release.

It will work while using the player buttons in the design mode but not when using the “Control / Run in Player/ Play Current Demo” button.

After creating the CD-Browser it will only work if I click on demox.32.exe file and open the dbd file from there.

If I use the autorun files that particular scene will not work and I get a message “demoshield not responding” and have to end task . I have tried the CD on several systems and have the same problem. I tried the version 6.5 as well and that works fine.

I even tried creating a new scene as a test to see if it had something to do with 7.0 converting the (6.5) old file and it still didn’t work.

I have installed –reinstalled and used the maintenance release and it still doesn’t work.

All of the images are small files imported and embedded within the scene. I have tried jpg / bmp and there are 256 color so I don’t think that has anything to do with the problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Den

Den7611
02-18-2002, 08:03 AM
Hi Kim,

I think I have found a possible link to the problem. While testing several different ways on 2 computers that are networked together I found that one played the demo fine and the other locked up. I narrowed it down to the refresh rate on the system that wasn’t playing the demo and the demo I was having problems with worked on both systems fine after changing the refresh rate. This was the demo converted from 6.5 to 7.0 (with the upgrade).

However while working with 7.0 in the designer I still can’t get the demo to work if I test it using the “Run in Player” from “Control” button.

The CD browser works with the refresh rate lowered and if I lower the rate anymore a portion of the screen gets blurry.

It appears that DemoShield has a problem working with a high refresh rate. Is there anyway you can find out if they are doing something to correct this since the systems are all getting much faster and I’m sure that some presentations I work on might not work on a clients system because of that.

Thanks,
Den

KimberlyH
02-22-2002, 09:47 AM
I have spoken with one of our developers concerning this issue and they have recommended making sure the display drivers on your system have the latest updates.

Also, would it be possible for you to send me a copy of your demo file so we can test this issue further?

All the best,

Den7611
02-24-2002, 01:00 PM
Hi Kim,

Thank you for checking with the tech people. I checked and updated the display drivers and they are new versions. The computer system is only about a month old that I have the 7.0 version on and I have the 6.5 version on a 5 year old system.

It could be some type of clitch on my system but I have no way of checking it without taking 6.5 off the old computer and installing the 7.0 on. I really don't want to disrupt that system if I'm going to have the same problems because until the 7.0 version is working I have to use the 6.5 version for the work I am currently doing.

I was working on another project this morning and found two additional problems with 7.0.

1) Spell check does not work.

2) When using a bitmap button to "View Internet URL" the internet page opens in the background and can't be viewed because the demoshield scene does not disappear or go into the background. I tried the same with 6.5 and it worked fine. The web page appeared and the demo was in the background.

The send mail works ok.

I'm sorry for asking for help so many times but this is getting really frustrating considering what I paid for this program. It appears the 6.5 version had most if not all of the bugs worked out before it was released. Not to mention the additional time I spend recreating this work in the older version.

Could you please let me know what I can do to crrect these errors.

I can send you what ever you need to check it from your system. Please let me know where to send them.

Thank you,
Den

KimberlyH
02-25-2002, 02:21 PM
You can send me the demo file (*.dbd) along with any other files pertaining to the demo (such as resources that have been Imported by Reference). I would recommend uploading the files to our ftp server at: ftp://ftp.installshield.com/incoming

Username is: anonymous
Password is: your email address

Once you have uploaded the files, post a message letting me know they are available and what the filename is.

As for the spell checker, it currently does not work with the Multi-Style text objects. If you do not need to use Multi-Style text in your demo, I would recommend using the User Defined Text Style.

I tested the View Internet URL action and was not able to reproduce the issue you describe. To help me test this issue further please let me know what operating system you are working on and whether you had a browse window already open upon using the View Internet URL action.

As a side note I wanted to mention that you can have both DS 6.5 and DS 7.0 installed on the same system. Since these are two different versions, they will install as two different applications.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Den7611
02-26-2002, 08:31 AM
Hi Kim,

Thanks againg for your help. I uploaded 2 zip files to "New Folder (6)".

The Cardinal.zip file contains the new project that I am having problems accessing the Internet.

From the menu (Index Screen) click on "How to submit an assignment". This will take you to the submit an assignmet screen.

The button "Go To Online Assignment Form" is the problem. After clicking on it the Internet connects in the background.

I tried it with explorer open and closed. With it open I could see a flat line going up the screen from the status bar indicating that it had opened the connection but it was still in the background.

I did a CD Browser on a disk and tried it on a second computer but still had the same result.

The second zip file Cardinal1.zip contains the file that I could not use the "Control" / "Run in Player" from the designer mode. The demo would not start. Alone it works fine. This is also where I had to change the refresh rate to make it work from the designer mode.

Thanks,
Den

KimberlyH
02-26-2002, 12:20 PM
Thank you for uploading your demo files.

For the demo labeled CardWeb.dbd the reason the browse window is appearing behind the demo is because the Keep Demo Always on Top option is selected within the Demo Properties. This options forces the DemoShield window to always be on top regardless of what applications are being launched. Simply unselect this option, Save your demo and then play. The browse window should now appear on top of the demo.

As for the CardinalCD.dbd, I am still testing this demo and am going to send it off to our developers to look into this issue further. At this time I have been unable to reproduce the issues you describe. I will post more information as it becomes available.

All the best,

Den7611
02-26-2002, 05:54 PM
Hi Kim,

Thank you so much for your help. I can’t believe I did that. I will make that change. You have been very helpful and so far it appears that it’s not demoshield but my error or there is a problem with my computer.

The problem with the Cardinal1 dbd file was running it with the designer mode, which might be a problem with my system if you weren’t able to reproduce the problem.

I forgot to answer your other questions. I am using Windows 98, 512MB RAM, Pentium III, Sampo 21” monitor and Graphics Processor: GeForce 2MX 100/200, AGP 64MB

Thanks,
Dennis

Den7611
03-02-2002, 06:43 PM
Hi Kim,

Getting back to the video problem. I have added 2 small video’s to my project and I am experiencing the same problems with demoshield not responding when it opens that screen. The system seems to lock up. It had done it with images that were in motion or bringing up a show and hide action also.

I created a CD Browser and burned it on a CD and ran it in another computer. The video’s worked fine. They also worked fine when trying it in the same computer I compiled the presentation on. I tried to force it to lock up by switching between scenes before they finished loading and it worked fine from the CD.

It also didn’t work from the hard drive where the files are stored after creating the presentation however after closing demoshield designer and rebooting it worked from the hard drive without any problems.

When I work on this I do check it often to see what it will look like when it runs as a presentation. Is it possible that it takes that much of the resources that eventually it locks up the system?

I did notice that the demoshield online brochure I have on my web site will only work after re-booting my older system, which apparently clears out what is in the resident memory. If you want to check that out you can go to

http://209.35.125.212/brochure/brochureonline.htm

Thanks again for any advise,
Den