PDA

View Full Version : demo32.exe error

slothtrop
01-30-2002, 03:11 PM
Has anyone seen this error:

demo32.exe has generated errors and will be closed by
Windows.
You will need to restart the program.

My users get this intermittently (but often) when exiting a demo. The demo is being served via an IIS server using the Demo Now distribution method.

If anyone has any thoughts, I'd be grateful...

KimberlyH
01-31-2002, 02:43 PM
What action are you using to exit the demo - Terminate DemoShield or Stop Demo?

I would recommend using the Stop Demo Action. This will close out the demo first before closing the DemoShield Player (demo32.exe).

Also, do you have any QuickTime movies (.mov) or MP3 resources in your demo? In earlier versions of DemoShield there were some issues with the QuickTime Player not closing properly upon exit of the demo. If this is the case, I would recommend using a Set Video State action - to Stop or Set Sound State action - to Stop before stopping the demo. Or use the Streaming Media Object to stream the sound/video file through Windows Media Player or RealPlayer.

One other suggestion is to make sure you have the latest maintenance release for the version of DemoShield you are using. If you have done so already, you can download the maintenance releases from the following URL: http://www.installshield.com/downloads

I hope this helps.

slothtrop
02-01-2002, 05:21 PM
Thanks, Kimberly.

I seem to have this under control for the time being. The problem had to do (it seems) with people clicking through to the next page while a mp3 file was playing. I added the set sound state action to the 'next' button in the demo. This seems to have helped (although I'm sure my users will let me know otherwise).

However, I am currently using the latest version of your product (7.01) and this issue still seems to present itself. Is there a more recent maintenance release?

Again, thanks for your prompt reply...

KimberlyH
02-04-2002, 09:40 AM
Thank you for the information. Currently, there are no further updates to the DemoShield 7.0 version.

To help me test this issue further, I will need some additional information.

Are you using a Quick Sound Object or Play Sound action to play the MP3?

Do you have the Stop Sound at Scene Transition option selected within the Demo Properties?

Have you tried using the Streaming Media Object to stream the sound file through Windows Media Player or RealPlayer?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Beedub
08-11-2003, 03:31 PM
I have begun getting this error intermittently when the user clicks on the VCR Exit button. It occurs both with a single executable file and with a CD browser demo with autorun.

I don't know whether it could be related, but I don't recall getting this error before I upgraded my OS to Windows XP.

I tried the running the CD Browser files on both an XP and a W2000 system and experienced the same problem (the file was created on an XP system).

Any thoughts?

KimberlyH
08-15-2003, 10:54 AM
Are you using any Quick Time Movies or MP3 files in your demo? If so, the error you are experiencing may be coming from the QuickTime Player attempting to close when the demo is terminated. The following Knowledge Base article provides more details about this topic:

Q105951 PRB: Error Message Occurs Upon Exit When Using QuickTime Movies or MP3s in Demo (http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q105951)

Also, if you are using a Terminate DemoShield action to stop the demo playback, I would recommend switching this to a Stop Demo action. The Stop Demo action will allow the demo file to close completely before shutting down the DemoShield Player (demo32.exe). The Terminate DemoShield will immediately stop the DemoShield Player thereby closing the demo file in the process.

I hope this helps.

dubois
06-08-2005, 12:21 AM
This DemoShield autorun CD browser exits when the user clicks a button to view a specific browser URL, which is a local file on the CD. The browser document opens properly, but Windows intermittently displays a nondescript error message and offers to report it to Microsoft.

This happens when the CD is inserted in the Win 2000 Pro test platform as well (but without the reporting option).

The exact wording of the error is something like "Demo32.exe has encountered an error and must exit, we apologize, you'll lose data, etc." -- nothing useful.

Workaround: If I let the autorun CD browser launch and let the CD spin down, seemingly indicating that all of the required data is loaded from the CD, before clicking any buttons, then this error does not happen. The error seems related to clicking before everything has loaded into memory from the CD. It is almost impossible to reproduce this bug if the CD has been in the drive for a few minutes.

More info: Developed the CD browser in DS 7.53 on XP Pro SP1. I haven't tested it on the SP2 platform yet.

There are no MP3s or other multimedia content in the DemoShield project itself.

The error does not occur when I click the button that launches an application (.exe), only when I click the button that views an internet URL.

I have not yet tried the suggestion of changing the Terminate action to a Stop Demo action.

The name of the "URL" (html file) is stored in Global Variables as a string, and a token for it is used in the Action for that button. Similar errors occurred when the filename was hardcoded. Again, the html file opens properly, this is not the problem.