PDA

View Full Version : setup.exe versioning???

NewsArchive
09-27-2000, 12:00 AM
OK, but I'm still confused. What program in Visual Studio do I use? Visual
C++, Visual Basic? Syp? What?
"Ivan Lalis" <Ivan.Lalis@NOSPAM.simultan.ch> wrote in message
news:39cb0bf9@12.41.20.38...
> Open the exe in Visual Studio (resources, not auto). The info is stored in
a
> resource called version. You can edit it and save it back. This is how to
do
> it, whether you may do it, I do not know :-)
>
> Ivan
>
> George Carvill <george.carvill@unisys.com> wrote in message
> news:39c9ff8b$1@12.41.20.38...
> > InstallShield creates SETUP.EXE and I realize I can rename it. However,
> when
> > I right-click on SETUP.EXE it give me InstallShield version information.
> How
> > can I get my company's name and my product version to display instead?
> > Without this I don't see how I can know what version of my own SETUP.EXE
I
> > am looking at without running it.
> >
> >
>
>

deejay
01-30-2002, 12:46 PM
Hello community,
Here's my question: I'm doing major upgrade for every new release of our product. For example, let's say that current version is 1.16. It did major upgrade fine from 1.15 (or previous...).
The problem is when i try to install v 1.15 over 1.16.
It gets installed and now i have two applications in the add/remove programs... How can i prevent an earlier version to be installed on the machine where there is already a newer version?
Thanks in advance
Best regards

PS: IS Developer 7.0, standard project...

rtuttle
01-30-2002, 04:46 PM
2 thoughts.

1. Product codes are different so setup doesn't recognize that it's already installed and can't put up the modify/repair/remove guy.

2. Look up your current uninstall key in the registry. If found, uninstall it through your new setup and then go forward with the new install.

Hope those are helpful thoughts.

deejay
02-01-2002, 09:53 AM
Hi,
thanks for your reply, i really appreciate it.

"Look up your current uninstall key in the registry. If found, uninstall it through your new setup and then go forward with the new install. "

You see, the trouble is that i have versions from 1.00 up to 1.17 ...
every new version did uninstall effectively older version and then got installed. But i don't know how to prevent an older version from getting installed if newer version already exists. How to look up for uninstall key for some future version (ex: 1.20) when i make my 1.18 release?
There must be a way to prevent older versions to get installed when newer version is present by setting some parameter (i even remember reading something about that somewhere but unfortunately can't remember where... :( )
Anyway, thanks again for your reply and if you have any idea please let me know.
Best regards,
Dejan

rtuttle
02-01-2002, 01:33 PM
Sorry, I obviously way read what you said wrong! I was thinking the other way around. :o

I am unaware of a way that you can prevent an install that is already out there from installing when a newer version is already installed. Maybe going forward, you could put in a registry key that has the version number and then when you do installs you can check if the existing version number is greater than your internal number and if it is don't install. But for installs that are already shipped - no clue.

Again, sorry about the miss read. :eek:

deejay
02-01-2002, 01:45 PM
:)
hey, no problem, at least you tried to help..
And your idea from the last post is not bad at all..
I'll try and see if i it works.
Thanks again.
regards,
dejan