PDA

View Full Version : DemoShield with InstallShield Pro 6.31

Bob Hickey
01-29-2002, 08:33 PM
I have completed an install with InstallShield 6.31. I also have DemoShield 7, which now acts only as a CD Browser, with scenes that allow the user to:

- view readme
- install product
- view PDF's of product doc
- connect to web
- etc.

I would like to be able to use DemoShield to prompt the user with some questions, have responses by radio buttons, then pass the responses (1's and 0's) to the InstallShield installer. Can I do this? Is there a white paper on the strategy used for connecting DemoShield with InstallShield?

An example of this would be me asking the user (in DemoShield) if they want sample files to be installed. Then, I could pass the answer to the InstallShield setup. At lesast, I think I should be able to do this. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Bob Hickey

KimberlyH
01-31-2002, 03:06 PM
To pass a parameter to the InstallShield installation, you would need to enter this value into the Launch Application action Command Line.

DemoShield can create an .ini file to save Variable data during demo playback. Therefore, if the InstallShield installation can read the .ini file you can use it towards your install.

Another option is to set up a series of checkboxes that the user can select from. Then set up an Event Object for each possible set of selections the user may make. You can assign multiple conditions within an Event Object. Therefore, you can set up each Event to check for a series of selections based on the pressed property of the checkbox (option a - pressed, b - unpressed, c - pressed, d - pressed). If true, launch application with parameters specific to those options. If false, do nothing. Only one Event will be correct and will launch the install accordingly.

I hope this helps.

Bob Hickey
01-31-2002, 03:15 PM
Kim -

Thanks for the response. I think I will try the last option. I will give the suer some check boxes and launch differently based on that.

I am working on reading in command line variables into InstallShield to help finish this project off.

Are there any papers/documentation that demonstrate how DemoShield and InstallShield can work best together?

- Bob Hickey