PDA

View Full Version : section 508 compliance and DemoShield

sue_writer
01-29-2002, 03:44 PM
Hello,

I've searched the forum archives for any information about DemoShield compliance with the Rehabilitation Act, which requires software programs to take advantage of Windows accessibility features for use by visually impaired individuals.

If you haven't heard of it, what Section 508 compliance basically means is that text needs to be readable by screen readers. The user interface needs to take advantage of High Contrast settings in Windows. There are other guidelines too.

We're building a CD Browser using DemoShield, but have been unsuccessful in making it Section 508 compliant. If anyone else has made a CD Browser or other demo compliant, I'd really appreciate any guidance you can offer.

Thanks,
sue_writer

KimberlyH
01-29-2002, 03:53 PM
The DemoShield Designer itself is setup for the requirements of the 508 Rehabilitation Act. However, the demo file and DemoShield Player (demo32.exe) do not currently meet those requirements. The reason for this is... When the demo is played through the DemoShield Player, the demo is played back as a single window. With this in mind, the different Objects within the demo are treated as part of the demo background and not individual components of the window. Therefore, the Windows operating system, cannot decipher the Objects and cannot perform the requested actions.

Our developers are currently working on incorporating this feature into the DemoShield product.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

All the best,