PDA

View Full Version : Autolaunch Doesn't

k_e_moeller
01-28-2002, 12:09 PM
Hello all --

On Friday I was doing a final assembly of a DS demo using DS Designer 6.51. The goal was to create a disk image, which when burned to CDROM, would allow a self-launch on any Windows system.

After testing and saving and running the demo using Demo.exe, happy with it, I used the Setup Wizard, CD Browser option, chose autolaunch and autorun options (not clear which to use when).

Files created in the top level container directory are:
demo32.exe, Launch.exe, ds32.dll, Launch.ini, myfilename.dbd,
autorun.inf, and all 'external reference' images, etc.

What HAPPENS when the CD is inserted is a 'Demoshield Player" window appears, showing myfilename.dbd. I must highlight the .dbd and press the 'Open' button to launch the presentation.

Not exactly what I expected, or experienced in the past. What am I doing wrong ???

thanks VERY much, Karl M in Arizona

KimberlyH
01-28-2002, 12:27 PM
Is the filename of your demo file over 8 characters? If so, you may need to shorten it. In earlier versions of DemoShield, the filename of the .dbd file was being truncated in the .ini file, and adding a ~ at the end. Since the filename does not match exactly, DemoShield is unable to select the .dbd to play.

Reducing the filename to 8 characters or less will correct this issue.

I hope this helps.

k_e_moeller
01-28-2002, 01:02 PM
Kim,

Thank you - yes, it's well over 8 characters long ! It's been a year since I did one of these CD burns, I should've remembered.

Now, I do have this container/CD Burn directory with the long name in it.

Can I use Windows to rename the .dbd to 8.3 name format, or do I have to a) rename the .DBD, b) launch the Designer and c) rerun the Setup Wizard ???

thx!

Karl M

KimberlyH
01-28-2002, 01:35 PM
You can simply rename the .dbd file in your CD Burn directory and then edit the .ini file to reflect those changes. You will need to edit the DBD= line in the .ini file.

I hope this helps.

k_e_moeller
01-28-2002, 04:31 PM
Yes, indeed !

Editing the .ini did the trick.

As a sidebar, I had a TERRIBLE time with this demo. Two other persons had been fiddling with it, getting the time shorter, deleting scenes right and left, never bothering to do a resource check, leaving many MB of images and .WAV files imbedded.. not a problem, unless some of those images were imported by reference, and weren't around. So I had to perform a ref check for all images audio and video.

At any rate, attempting to create a CD burnable folder on disk, the Designer TWICE cleaned out my source directory -deleted the .dbd, many of the later, required import-by reference files, etc. Once it actually deleted the source material directory itself !
Fortunately I had everything in a backup directory.

EXTREMELY ill-mannered application, at least on Windows 98.

Karl M.

KimberlyH
01-29-2002, 03:46 PM
We do recommend when building your distribution to build to a clean folder. If there are resources that need to be included in the distribution, these can be copied over to the build folder once the build is complete.

If you are building to a directory that contains other files, and should the build be interrupted or not finish, the directory will be cleaned out.

I hope this helps.