PDA

View Full Version : Community is counter productive

mchafin
01-23-2002, 07:18 AM
I find that using this type of forum is counter productive. The length of time it takes to enter or locate a given entry is excessive.

Give us back the news servers!!!

melvyn
01-24-2002, 08:36 PM
I find it refreshing to be able to search through all the posts here without having to wade through every post in the newsgroups.

Thumbs up from me.

Mel

pspsps
01-24-2002, 09:21 PM
Community is not counterproductive overall in any way. But the old usenet interface is incredibly better. For example, Inno setup has a usenet server and it looks very active and informative. And its fast. The #1 problem here is the slowness in reviewing posts, then skimming the threads. Its like programming through a keyhole.

But you will not be getting the usenet system back, just hope they can improve this forum nonsense. Keep complaining maybe it will get better.

mchafin
01-24-2002, 10:14 PM
Usenet via Outlook Express has full message search!!

JoelT
01-25-2002, 11:05 AM
You also have full search capabilities by clicking on the SEARCH menu option at the top of the page.

mchafin
01-25-2002, 11:10 AM
But the whole process it way to slow compared to UseNet.

I don't have to wait to download new pages of posts, etc.

tomknight
01-28-2002, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by AdminJoelT
You also have full search capabilities by clicking on the SEARCH menu option at the top of the page.

And I'm sure you've seen the criticism that searching on "XP" insn't possible. Also, this method is sloooowww....... With the usenet groups, one can download all messages (takes a while over the modem, I have to admit, but leach it running in the evening and you're sorted) and hey presto, a fully searchable mini-knowledge base.

I'll be straight with you - I'm not a fan of this being the only official forum for InstallShlield topics, but I guess it's your game, you can set the rules. It's a pity to see you break away from a known good method.

OFFICIA
01-28-2002, 08:49 AM
I agree... usenet is easier and can be used OFFLINE(!!), this type of forum (membership required -duh-) is slow and will make it less open...
But you are right... I don't think they will return or 're-support' the newsgroup...

To bad...

mchafin
01-28-2002, 02:07 PM
The won't do it with out the community speaking out. So if you have a compliant bout this type of fourm speak up and be counted.

Phil Jollans
01-30-2002, 09:42 AM
My primary method of searching newsgroups is via Google/Groups (formerly deja.com). I think it is a pity that the InstallShield forums are now outside that mechanism.

(Of course, google may index this whole community!)

The advantage of google is that it searches all newsgroups and that it is fast.

Phil

BLilly
01-31-2002, 04:24 PM
I find these boards to be extremely annoying in a professional environment. Every other support channel on earth has a usenet newsgroup that I can access from a convenient, central location and has all the capabilities built into it. And I can continue to read messages while offline if I choose to do so.

I had to register simply to post my disgust. I had to be further disgusted in order to post my disgustedness......

It's not like I spent a lot of time in the Installshield newsgroups, so I guess I won't miss them.

brunod
03-02-2002, 08:40 AM
I've been a heavy user of the Installshield newsgroups in the past. I didn't have any IS related jobs during the last six months or so so I was very surprised to find out that this very convenient support tool had been stopped. :mad:

IS, please give us our newsgroups back

OR improve the current community dramatically

johnhind
03-02-2002, 11:03 AM
What about the quality of the service though ?

As long as we get answers back quick then you can't complain. Not all companies have this facility.

(I do have ADSL though, so I don't have to wait too long !)

John, UK:p

BValaski
03-06-2002, 09:00 AM
Yes, this new interface is snazzier, but it's more of a PITA to get on the web interface, navigate, read, etc.

How about supporting a dual-interface such as what Novell is currently doing? Their product and developer support forums work both from the Web and NNTP (http://support-forums.novell.com). Sure, they don't have all the cutesy icons, but "real support professionals" don't need no cr*ppy icons <grin>. Isn't it amazing what you can say with emoticons?

As for searching, big deal. One of the best newsgroup readers I've used, Gravity, allows you to do searches within and across forums.

So far, I don't see anything here that makes me say the whole "community" thing really serves what support folks like myself need to do.