PDA

View Full Version : Illegal Operation Performed

logshrike
01-23-2002, 02:33 AM
I have an application that is distributed with a CD Browser (created with Demoshield) that automatically starts when it is inserted in the CD-ROM drive of the customer.

One customer using Windows 95 says every time the CD Browser tries to initialize, she receives an error message: "This program will perform an illegal operation and will be shut down."

I told her to restart her computer and then try reunniug the installation program for my application instead of the CD Browser (she kept the CD-ROM in the CD Drive when she restarted the computer so the CD Browser did not compe up immediately).

The same error message appeared when she tried to run the installation progfram for my application, which is also created with an Installshield product, Installshield 5.5: "This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down" with a caption of "ins_5576".

Does any one know what causes this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

KimberlyH
01-23-2002, 11:32 AM
I performed a search both on our Knowledge Base as well as Microsoft's Knowledge Base for error "ins_5576". I was not able to find any information on this error.

There are a couple of things that may be contributing to the problem.

1. The CD may be corrupt. You may want to try sending her a new copy of the CD to see if this corrects the issue.

2. The CD-Rom may not be able to read the files properly. For example, if the CD was burned at a fast speed and the CD-Rom does not support that speed, it may cause some error when attempting to launch any files from the CD.

3. Try copying the files to the hard drive and executing from there. This will launch the files from the hard drive rather than the CD.

I hope this helps.