PDA

View Full Version : Picture Slideshow

afterman
01-21-2002, 12:03 PM
Kimberly,

We ordered a copy of DemoShield over the weekend. We will probably receive it on Tuesday of this week. In the meantime I have a question/problem with creating a picture slideshow and I was wondering if you could explain it quickly to me?

We created a scene with an area that will have up to 15 pictures that a viewer can click through. Underneath the picture area are the "next" and "previous" buttons. We want the user to be able to click back and forth through the photos at leasure.

I cannot seem to understand how it is we are to accomplish this. I thought maybe an object group with an action created on the next or previous button, but nothing seems to work.

Please help :o)

KimberlyH
01-21-2002, 03:55 PM
I think the easiest way to set this up would be to use multiple scenes. Each graphic can have a separate scene. Then use Go To Previous Scene and Go To Next Scene for your Next and Previous buttons.

If you want to set this up in one scene you will need to use a series of Event Objects and Perform Calculation actions that will increment/decrement a Variable Object. Then based on the value of the Variable the demo will go to the Start Time of a specific graphic.

I hope this helps.

afterman
01-21-2002, 08:03 PM
Kimberly,

Thanks for the reply - I was able to set most of it up as you detailed in
your post. I have a variable set up, and the actions to increment/decrement
it. So far, so good. The part that I'm a little unclear on is the final
connecting of the pieces. Your letter said to use the variable to go to the
Start Time of the graphic, but I'm not sure exactly how this works. Could
you explain that section a little more?

Thanks for your time!

Andrew

k_e_moeller
01-22-2002, 03:55 PM
As an (ahem) experienced user, Andrew, I have to say it appears you are using the more difficult way to present a series of pictures.

Create a standard scene background. Place IN the scene three buttons, Next, Back, and Quit. For Next, create an 'always true' action of Go To Next Scene. For Back, create an always true action Go to Previous Scene. For Quit, Exit Demo action.

Count your photos. Import them into the Demo Resources if they are not enormous (.BMP's, right?)

Copy your Scene that many times. Down the left side of the Designer window will be that many Scenes. Double click on the first scene, create a rectangle object and fill it with an Image, and identify your first picture. Continue until you've filled all the Scenes with your pictures. Change the buttons on the last scene to only show Quit.

FAR easier than fighting with a Timeline and Start Time values and the like in one looooong complex Scene.

best luck, Karl in Arizona

afterman
01-22-2002, 04:38 PM
Karl,

I understand that Demoshield is focused on timeline programming, but it just seems crazy to think there has never been a user who hasn't wanted to create a picture slideshow that is user controlled. I tested one multimedia program that created a "turnstile". It was as easy as telling the program to "go forward one step" when the person clicked on a button or "go backward one step" when the person clicked on a back button.

I am planning on writing a detailed suggestion to the support group about this. The software in general is very in-depth and we are very excited about its possibilities.

Thanks for taking the time to offer you suggestion.

As a final note.....we created every picture to be on an identical background and then copied and pasted the pages over and over. We changed the first scene to only allow "next" and the last scene to only allow "previous" and that seems to work fine.

Though you might think programming calculations is time consuming and loooooooonnnnnnggggg, it has its benefits for those of us who think in those relms.

I would love to hear how you are using Demoshield and any other conflicts or praises would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew

KimberlyH
01-23-2002, 12:04 PM
If you are looking to incorporate a slideshow into one scene within your demo you can do so using Before and After jumpmarks.

To do this, place all the graphics in your scene where you want them to appear.

Next, open the Properties to each graphic and select the Before and After jumpmark checkboxes under the General tab.

Next, set the timing for each graphic so they will appear at different times within the scene. For example:

Graphic 1: Start: 0.0 Hold: 1.0 End: 2.0 Exit: 2.0
Graphic 2: Start: 2.1 Hold: 2.5 End: 3.0 Exit: 3.0
Graphic 3: Start: 3.1 Hold: 3.5 End: 4.0 Exit: 4.0

Etc.....

Next, create an Event Object for each graphic placed in the Scene. Assign a Pause Demo action to the Event and set the timing to a fraction after the start time of the graphic. For example, for Graphic 1 the Start time is 0.0 seconds. Therefore, set the Event Object to 0.5 seconds. For Graphic 2 the Start time is 2.1 seconds. So, set the Event to 2.5 seconds.

Now that the graphics are in place, create two Buttons in your scene. Label one button Previous and the other Next. Open the Properties for the Previous button and assign a Go to Previous Jumpmark action. Open the Properties for the Next button and assign a Go To Next Jump Mark action.

I have created a sample demo for you to view. Please take a look and let me know if you have any questions.

All the best,

k_e_moeller
01-23-2002, 12:08 PM
>>>Karl,

>>>I understand that Demoshield is focused on timeline programming, but it just seems crazy to think there has never been a user who hasn't wanted to create a picture slideshow that is user controlled. I tested one multimedia program that created a "turnstile". It was as easy as telling the program to "go forward one step" when the person clicked on a button or "go backward one step" when the person clicked on a back button.

We appear to be talking at cross purposes. My scenario, where each scene contains one picture, IS user controlled, by the use of 'transport' buttons to go forward or backward (or quit).

In fact I recall there is (at least in DemoShield version 6) a pre-built 'transport control' tool that you can drop into the bottom of each Scene. Leave the elapsed time for each Scene at the default 60 seconds - it doesn't matter because the transport handles what happens, not the timer.

And unless you're billing by the hour, I'd much rather use precreated tools than sit and fight with a scene timeline and multiple image displays in one huge scene.

email me at moellerk@sysmex.com if you wish and we can continue this offline

Karl M