PDA

View Full Version : Generate Package Code = "Yes" for Merge Module on every build of MSM?

NewsArchive
12-10-2001, 01:00 AM
I have 4 custom merge modules. I've set up configuration/release information
for each of them.

What I want to know is, should I set Generate Package Code = "Yes" in the
Developer IDE product config view for all my Merge Module projects?

If this Package Code changes on each build of the MSM, does this mean that
any InstallShield Projects which reference the Merge Module will need
updating manually because the MSM package code (GUID) is stored in the ISM
and provides the link to the MSM?

If not, then when if ever should the MSM product code change? only when a
major new version of the MSM is created that is not compatible with previous
versions?

Thanks.

Alastair

BruceJ
04-04-2002, 04:13 PM
I'm interest in hearing any responses to this old post. I similarly have several custom merge modules and I notice that if I set Generate Package code to Yes, and rebuild, I have to manually re-link the any projects to use these merge modules to the rebuilt packages. This is a major hassle and, as far as I can see, shouldn't be necessary.

Robin_Net
07-12-2012, 10:05 AM
When ever we change the version or if we create a new package code, then also it will display a message box, as user clicks on the setup.exe to ask whether to install the update or not "This will install the update", to hide or disable this confirmation box there is one property that we need to set in the InstalledShield Installer
In Installer Project expand it and GoTo Media >> Upgrades >> Expand "Prepare Setup for Upgrade Scenarios" >> Click on "Upgrade Windows Installer Setup" >> Now in the right side panel select "Don't Prompt the user, just install the upgrade" radio button and Save and Rebuild the setup.

Now you ready to go ;)

Happy Coding,
Robin