PDA

View Full Version : DS7 - Problem Switching Between Demo and App Windows

brandonm
01-18-2002, 11:58 AM
Hi,

First of all, this is a cool product! I like it!

Now, here's my problem...

When I launch a Windows help file or Adobe pdf document from my CD-based browser, I note that my demo screen is partially visible, overlapped by part of the application window, which loads in the foreground. No problem. The applications I'm launching are not maximized by default, and I am not using a full-screen demo window, so the overlapped arrangement of windows is expected and OK. However, once the application window appears, if I click on the part of the demo window that is not overlapped and thus is still visible, I expect this action to bring the entire demo screen to the foreground. Well, I'm afraid it does not--at least, not cleanly. Here's what I mean:

If I click on the interior part of the visible portion of the demo window, parts of the demo screen--text labels, to be specific, show right through the application window! Looks weird! The rest of the demo window remains in the background.

Now, if I click on the title bar of my demo (which uses a windowed interface) the entire demo screen immediately comes to the foreground. Nice and clean. Also, if I click the demo's app button in the Windows task bar, it immediately comes to the foreground, which is great. It's just when I click on any visible interior portion of my demo window that I get this weird response. Now, once I've successfully brought the demo window to the foreground, by either clicking on the title bar or using the task bar button, I can then switch the demo to the foreground by clicking on any exposed area of the demo window, which is the behavior I expected initially. Hmm...I'm afraid I'm not too experienced with DS--just bought it about a week ago, so I fully expect this to be an "operator error" scenario.

I sure would appreciate any help you could offer. Thanks!!

KimberlyH
01-18-2002, 12:42 PM
I tested this out using one of the DemoShield templates available in the New Demo Wizard. I was able to replicate this issue under the following situation.

If I launch an application from my demo, it appears as a window on top of the demo.
I then click on one of the buttons within the demo scene to shift focus to the demo. However, only that button object comes to front.
The demo technically has focus at this time. Therefore, if you mouse over the buttons, they will then begin to display in front.

I am forwarding this information on to our developers for further investigation.

In the meantime, you may want to consider passing a command line parameter to the application being launched to open full screen. Or you can perform a Send Windows Message action to minimize the demo at the same time the application is launched. This will ensure the user has to click on the task bar button to bring the demo back in focus.

I hope this helps.

brandonm
01-24-2002, 10:10 AM
Thanks, Kim. I used the method of minimizing the demo upon application launch. This seems to be working fine and for this particular CD Browser is the better of the two alternatives you provided. It adds an extra step for the user to have to explicitly bring the demo back from the minimized state...but it does avoid that unfortunate bit of switching weirdness, and that's the main thing.

I was wondering if this behavior is something that exists in previous versions of DS, or is it an issue with this latest release only? Is it even considered a "bug?" If so, any idea when a fix would be available?

Thanks again,

Brandon