PDA

View Full Version : Global Variables for bookmarking

J Cummings
01-14-2002, 02:29 PM
I'm trying to use bookmarks in v. 6.71 to bookmark the user's last scene (or chapter that contains multiple scenes). I am using events to set the String1 global variable in the first scene of each chapter to the chapter name (e.g. string1=about). Then, on the first page of the demo, I add a link to resume where the user left off. This goes to the scene #2. Scene #2 contains an event at 0 seconds with the custom condition of string1=about and an action of go to the first scene in the About chapter. So, the end user shouldn't really even see scene#2, but be taken immediately to the About chapter if that's where they left off. Sometimes in the Designer, this event is processed properly and takes the user to the appropriate scene. Other times, nothing happens. In the Player, the event never takes the user to the appropriate scene. It just gets hung up on Scene#2 even though I can see in the INI file that the string1=about. Why isn't this working consistently for me?
I'd greatly appreciate any help?
Thanks,
J Cummings

KimberlyH
01-14-2002, 02:51 PM
Would it be possible for you to send a copy of the demo file so I can see how you have it set up?

Also, how are you launching the demo, by selecting Control | Run in Player, double-clicking on the .dbd file, executing the launch.exe from a distribution build, etc...?

Where is the .ini file in relation to the DemoShield Player (demo32.exe)?

I look forward to hearing from you.

J Cummings
01-15-2002, 09:12 AM
I made a mini-project to show you what I was trying to do, but in doing so, I think that I figured out my problem. I think that I was inadvertantly resetting my global variables (Reset Global Variables checkbox) when I was checking the variable values. All seems to be working well now.
Thanks.