PDA

View Full Version : Demoshield 6.71A: Memory Leak

mdeitch
01-13-2002, 05:34 PM
I am creating a simulation of an application in Demoshield 6.71.The dbd file contains 16 scenes and is approx 1.2mb filesize.

The scene that simulates the application is self-running and is activated by a control button. The control button runs a sequence of approx 30 actions including Move Cursor, Delay Demo, Show Object, Play Sound, Hide Object etc. Some of these actions are repeated several times.

The simulation is very unstable and gets stuck. I also get a message telling me that my PC is very low on resources.

Any solutions

Yours
Martin

KimberlyH
01-14-2002, 10:47 AM
The combination of the Move Cursor action and the Delay Demo action are probably what is contributing to it being unstable and causing the drain in resources. The reason for this is, when the Move Cursor action is performed, the demo is paused temporarily to process this action. If a Delay Demo action is performed immediately after the Move Cursor action, the demo is paused again and a back up of processes begins. The greater the back up of processes, the more CPU resources DemoShield must use to continue with the demo.

To reduce the amount of memory DemoShield must utilize I would recommend allowing some time after the Move Cursor and Delay Demo before continuing on with another action. This will allow DemoShield to finish through with the current process before going on to the next.

I hope this helps.

mdeitch
01-14-2002, 12:14 PM
No change unfortunately.
I am sending you the file.
The problems occur on scene "Communication Demo".
As you will see there are several more demos that I need to construct once you have solved this initial one.

The reasons I am using this technique instead of the Automated Appcam function are:
1) Much smaller file size for email distribution
2) The GUI of the source application does not allow me to "arrange" the daughter windows so that it is attractive to the viewer.

Do you have any suggestions
Yours
Martin

mdeitch
01-14-2002, 12:27 PM
Dear Demoshield
By the way, I forgot to mention that I tried your suggestion and deleted all the "Delay" actions. This did not improve the situation. Anyway, this is not ideal as I want the user to have approx 2-3 seconds to view each dialog box before the next action occurs.

Yours
Martin

KimberlyH
01-14-2002, 12:35 PM
You do not need to delete the Delay Demo Actions. However, I do not recommend using this action in between a series of move cursor action. The reason for this is it will cause a back up of processes which will cause DemoShield to utilize as much memory as possible.

I took a look at your demo and notice you are using one Button Object to assign all the Move Cursor Actions (and I am assuming the Delay Demo actions) for your simulation. Instead of assigning all actions to one Button, try breaking it up. You can use Event Objects set at different times within the scene to perform the actions you wish to occur. For instance, if you want the user to click on the Button to start the demo, create an Event Object at the beginning of the scene to Pause Demo. You can set up the Bitmap Button to either Continue Demo or Go to Start time of Object and take the scene to the first Event Object to perform the first Move Cursor Action. If you set up several Event objects with Move Cursor actions, you will not need to use the Delay Demo action. You can set up an Event at 1 second to perform specific actions. Then at 3 seconds perform other actions. And, so on, and so on.

I hope this helps.

mdeitch
01-17-2002, 07:05 AM
Kim
Problem solved.
Many Thanks