PDA

View Full Version : Repacking

Michelle
01-10-2002, 03:14 PM
:confused: Looking for documentation, books, anything that will help with repacking. Any ideas ?

Eric Thomas
01-10-2002, 03:40 PM
Michelle:

What kind of information are you looking for? Concepts, specifics, how to perform repackaging using AdminStudio? Or are you looking for some other type of information?

Please let me know - I'll be more than happy to provide any information I have on the subject.

-Eric

Michelle
01-10-2002, 03:48 PM
When using repackage tool, and you have the msi created, when the msi is launched to test receive a splash screen to click next. We do not want the splash screen to appear. How do we get rid of the splash screen or any further prompts?

Eric Thomas
01-10-2002, 04:05 PM
Do you want to run the entire MSI installation without any user interaction (silently)?

You can use the command line:

msiexec /i <Msi File> /qn

to kick off the installation of the file, and it shouldn't display any user interface.

Or did I miss the point of the question?

-Eric

Michelle
01-10-2002, 04:46 PM
I believe that is the point. Will let you know the outcome. Thank you so much for you help. I am sure I will be back for more !

derangel
12-07-2003, 09:59 PM
Hi Eric,
Could you suggest some good resources to learn install shield AdminStudio 5.0.
I have just been given the tasks to learn this application to repackage softeware for XP and to eventually custom add some VB customizations to them. I know nothing about adminStudio and need to learn it asap. Can you direct me to some good step by step tutorials or material relating to such? I would also like some resource material on vb customizations with admin studio.
Sincerely,
Derrick

Eric Thomas
12-08-2003, 10:24 AM
Well, the online documentation is definitely the first place you should start. Beyond that, Bob Baker and Robert Dickau have written a book which has a lot of AdminStudio information in it: Administrator's Introduction to Application Repackaging and Software Deployment Using Windows Installer. It, along with other publications, are available at the InstallShield Press site (http://www.installshield.com/ispress/).