PDA

View Full Version : Single Scene Play in Designer 6.53

k_e_moeller
01-09-2002, 11:16 AM
Hi -

My boss is working with an existing .DBD, planning to modify it with new scenes and new .WAV voiceovers.

The problem is that within Designer 6.53, the 'transport' controls will start and play the demo from the beginning, but once the 'stop' control is invoked, selecting a single scene and selecting 'play' from either the visible transport controls or the Control pulldown menu will NOT play a scene at a time. The 'run in player' option works from the beginning of the demo only, so that's no help.

All that is present in these scenes (at this point in the demo) are displayed stills and a narrator .WAV file launched at the start of each scene.

So he's been forced to exit the .DBD and start over. What are we missing ?

thanks very much, Karl Moeller SIA Arizona

KimberlyH
01-09-2002, 11:22 AM
You should be able to select the scene you wish to play and then either click on the Play button of the Control Panel (the buttons on the toolbar that look like vcr buttons) or select Play from Current Scene under the Control menu.

You should also be able to stop the demo playback within the Designer and then resume where you choose by selecting the scene you wish to play.

Do you have any Pause or Stop actions within the demo?
Would it be possible for you to send me the demo file (.dbd) so I can see what is happening?

All the best,

k_e_moeller
01-09-2002, 02:01 PM
Thanks - however, 6.53 does NOT work as advertised on this DBD. The .dbd in question is almost 70MB because of all the .WAV files imported (and the graphics of course).

If you have an FTP destination I could FTP the file to you, it's far too large to email as an attachment.

What I did was check the same DBD with 6.51 and it works.

However, we now notice REALLY slow load times inside Designer when we click on a scene and press 'play', it takes a minute or more to load all components and to start playing the scene. Again, no elements are imported by reference except for several .MOV or .AVI files.. most slides have imported .jpgs or .bmps and of course each scene launches its own .WAV file.

One aspect of slow loading or executing is CPU and memory.. this is on an 800MHz Pentium III laptop W98SE, 128MB memory, quit all other applications.

Thanks ! karl moeller SIA

KimberlyH
01-09-2002, 02:09 PM
The difficulties you are experiencing may be attributed to the size of the demo file. I usually recommend Importing by Reference video and sound files. The reason for this is, when the demo is launched, any resource that has been embedded in the demo is going to be "loaded" to the Temp directory before the demo will play. If there is a large number of resources embedded, this will increase the amount of time required to load all the resources. If the resources are Imported by Reference, DemoShield will reference this files locally rather than loading them to the Temp directory, thereby reducing the load time.

Another suggestion is to reduce any graphics being used to 256 color mode. This will reduce the filesize of the graphic and improve load time as well.

If you would still like to upload your demo file to our ftp server, you can do so at the following URL:

ftp://ftp.installshield.com/incoming

The username is: anonymous
Password is: your email address

Once you have uploaded the file, please send me a post letting me know it is available and what the filename is.

All the best,

k_e_moeller
01-10-2002, 11:03 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by KimberlyH
[B]The difficulties you are experiencing may be attributed to the size of the demo file. I usually recommend Importing by Reference video and sound files.

Kimberly, I certainly understand the issue of writing to C:\temp first. This brings up a few questions:

- once a resource such as a .WAV file has been incorporated into a .DBD, can it be EXPORTED back to a Windows directory in the original file format ?? or do I have to root around and find the original .WAV files ?

- the motivation for moving the resource files external to the .DBD is slowness within DESIGNER.EXE. Will this change affect the final self-running demo positively or neutrally or negatively ??

thanks very much !!

Karl Moeller SIA Arizona

KimberlyH
01-10-2002, 12:39 PM
You can export the resources in your demo by going into the Resource Manager, selecting the resources you wish to export and then clicking on the Export button. This will export the resources to a location on your desktop in their original format. The only exception to this is graphics. DemoShield only natively supports BMPs and GIFs. Therefore, if you embedded a resource of a different format (for example a JPG), DemoShield converts it to a BMP. If you select to export this resource, it will export it as a BMP.

Importing your Resources by Reference should not affect the setup of your demo. The playback should be consistent with how the demo was when the resources were embedded, with the exception of the launch being quicker. The demo should save quicker once the resources are Imported by Reference.

I hope this helps.

k_e_moeller
01-10-2002, 04:16 PM
>>DemoShield only natively supports BMPs and GIFs.

I always found that strange, in that JPEG is a very compact and usable image standard, ask any website.

In the past we had the idea it was 'good' to have files internal, that "Import By Reference" was not as good/quick. Now that idea is obsoleted, at least where working with the demo in DESIGNER is concerned.

Regarding DESIGNER.EXE and internal vs. external references, it sounds like placing the .WAV and .AVI and .MOV files external will only speed up Scene load WHILE DESIGNER IS RUNNING.

Although you imply that a smaller .DBD will do the initial load on a target machine (CDROM is our delivery method) somewhat faster if the large files are external, but still in the same CD root directory from which the .DBD runs (learned my lesson on that long ago!)

thanks, Karl Moeller SIA Arizona

k_e_moeller
01-11-2002, 03:57 PM
>>>Regarding DESIGNER.EXE and internal vs. external references, it sounds like placing the .WAV and .AVI and .MOV files external will only speed up Scene load WHILE DESIGNER IS RUNNING.

>>>Although you imply that a smaller .DBD will do the initial load on a target machine (CDROM is our delivery method) somewhat faster if the large files are external, but still in the same CD root directory from which the .DBD runs (learned my lesson on that long ago!)

so is there any point in stripping out resources for the resulting DBD?

thanks

Karl Moeller

KimberlyH
01-11-2002, 04:02 PM
If you Import your video and sound resources by Referenece, you will probably find that the demo will load much faster when run through the Player as well. The reason for this is, when the demo is launched, DemoShield does not have to load a copy of the resources that have been Imported by Reference to the Temp directory. Instead they will be reference locally.

If you are distributing your demo on CD, DemoShield will simply reference the resource from the location on the CD rather than retrieving it from the Temp directory.

I hope this helps.