PDA

View Full Version : Administrator Rights

kapilkamat
01-06-2002, 11:24 PM
We are currently using Installshield Professional Standard Edition 6.3. I am explaining my problem below in detail.

In our application setup, besides copying other required files, we are registering some ActiveX DLL's as well as some 3rd party DLL's namely msvbvm6.dll and scrrun.dll. These 2 DLL's are copied to the windows system folder. The setup works fine on windows NT 4. However while running the setup on Windows 2000 the setup fails to register the system DLL's. All other DLL's are registered. We think the problem is due to the fact that the logged in user should have administrator rights. The following link to an article on Installshield site says that adm rights are indeed required for win 2000.

http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?pcode=ALL&articleid=Q105258&source=support_central&product=cp

I would like to know if this is really the problem. We cannot allow the user to have adm rights on win 2k. Since the article says that Installshield - windows installer edition can solve the problem, we wanted to evaluate the windows installer edition to see if it can indeed solve the problem.

I would appreciate if anyone could help me in solving the problem.

Regards
Kapil

JacobLevin
01-07-2002, 09:28 AM
This is correct, you do need administrative privileges to run an install built with Professional 6.x.

The Developer 7 product that uses the Windows Installer service and would allow you to run an install with elevated privileges. The problem is that in order to run an install with elevated privileges you would have to create a registry key on the target system beforehand.