PDA

View Full Version : Access 97 Runtime installation fails

NewsArchive
04-04-2000, 12:00 AM
WHere is it located on the CD?

"Robert M. Dickau"
<i_wish_i_had_time_to_answer_individual_questions_through_email_but_i_don't@
installshield.com> wrote in message news:38e93f0a.0@208.30.171.38...
> InstallShield 6 (on your InstallShield Professional 2000 CD) contains an
> Access 97 runtime Object, and the online help describes what the Object
> does; you might try duplicating those effects in ISWI...
>
> David Courage wrote in message <38d94a30.0@news.installshield.com>...
>
> >I think I am just getting lost in the Microsoft maze, but I am having
> >trouble finding an install for the Access 97 runtime.
>
>
>

NewsArchive
04-04-2000, 12:00 AM
The setup for IS 6.1 is in "X:\Professional 6.1".

David Courage wrote in message <38ea7184.0@208.30.171.38>...
>WHere is it located on the CD?

NewsArchive
05-01-2000, 12:00 AM
Also, InstallShield Professional 6.1 has an InstallShield Object for Access

Jeff Cohen

"Colin Leath" <colinl@greentreesystems.com> wrote in message
news:38dfa9f0.0@news.installshield.com...
> Try looking under IS6.1 resources on the IS website. www.sagekey.com also
> makes an installscript for access. I don't know of any for MSI-- if you
find
> one, please let me know.
> Colin
> David Courage <dcourage@alliancemfg.com> wrote in message
> news:38d92abf.0@news.installshield.com...
> > I think I am just getting lost in the Microsoft maze, but I am having
> > trouble finding an install for the Access 97 runtime.
> >
> > Can anyone help?
> >
> > DC
> >
> >
>
>

dterrie
01-04-2002, 04:01 PM
When I run my routine, I get the 'Another version of this product is already installed...' error from the Windows installer. My Win 2000 Pro machine has both Access 97 and 2000 on it.

I need the routine to install properly regardless of any combination of Access versions already installed. I bought IS because the Office 97 ODE Setup routine does not allow for multiple versions of Access and in the case of Access 2000 already being present, requires the MSACCESS.EXE file be manually renamed, etc.

I was specifically told the Access 97 merge module would handle this. What am I doing wrong/what should I do?

Chandima
01-08-2002, 09:12 AM
Are you running the same setup twice? This message means another version of YOUR product (not Access) is installed on this machine. If you want to avoid this message you will have to change the Product Code (from General Information).

dterrie
01-08-2002, 02:47 PM
Yes, my product is already on the system, but it has not been installed by InstallShield. It was installed by a routine created by the Office 97 ODE Setup Wizard. I tried changing the product code already.

Chandima
01-10-2002, 08:46 AM
I am not familiar with the "Office 97 ODE Setup Wizard". But I doubt it uses the Windows Installer service. I assume you are using Express 3.x. The only reason you get this message is if the same ProductCode exists on the target machine but the PackageCode or Version Number are different. If these are the same as well, it will go in to maintenance mode.

If the previous setup WAS a Windows Installer one, you could consider using an "Upgrade Path" to uninstall it and install this version. Or, you can run a Custom Action at the beginning of the Setup to uninstall the previous version first.

dterrie
01-10-2002, 02:25 PM
RE the ODE Setup Wizard, it does not use the Windows installer. The new install routine I created generated the error the first time it was run. I'll try changing the package numbers, etc. However, the Access 97 runtime on PC w. Access 2000 installed problem remains unaddressed regardless.

Chandima
01-14-2002, 10:40 AM
Our merge modules simply use the Access Runtime redistributables. If you do a search on MSDN or Microsoft.com on these runtimes you will see a number of incompatibilities between the Acess 97 runtime and Access 2000 (full) and vice versa. See if your issue is one these.

dterrie
01-14-2002, 07:30 PM
I have been developing in Access since 2.0, and am highly aware of the incompatibilities between versions. This has been the entire purpose of this thread. To wit, can InstallShield Express handle the problem or not? Can Installshield write a registry entry that appropiately installs an Access 97 runtime application when Access 2000 is present? As I noted, there is a workaround for the setup files created by the Office 97 Developer Edition Setup Wizard.

I once went to an allergist because I had begun getting sick eating shell fish. He suggested that I eat some shell fish and see what happens. I KNOW what happens - and why. I just need to know if InstallShield can do anything about it. It's not that hard a question.

Chandima
01-15-2002, 09:46 AM
Not directly. If you just use the Access97 wizard, make your settings, build and install, it will NOT take Access2000 in to consideration. The default settings do NOT address this issue.

Could you tell me what the work around is? Maybe there is a way it can be implemented through a Custom Action or something.