PDA

View Full Version : Always Install option in Environment Variables drop-down menu

NewsArchive
09-28-2001, 12:00 AM
Thanks, Rene, for your recommendations.

My boss wants it for a special reason. I've contacted InstallShield
Tech Suppor and they don't suggest to do so since it's against
Windows Installer rules. I now implement forcing reinstall all files
for maitenance, as you mentioned in 3. But it is not always like a
fresh install as described in IS KB article Q104902.

Xia

Rene wrote:

> 1. Use installshield professional
> 2. Remove the windows installer registry enties (like msicu.exe, or take out
> the actions that write them?!)
> 3. You could also alter the maintaince mode in such a way that it is exacly
> like an fresh install
> 4. Why would you want to do this anyway?? ;)
>
> "Xia Zhong" <xzhong@austin.rr.com> schreef in bericht
> news:3BB154F9.53BB67B5@austin.rr.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > We want a setup that always repeats the entire installation -
> > no modify, no repair, no remove. Any suggestion on how to
> > approach? Thanks for any inputs.
> >
> > Xia
> >

Tony Patterson
01-03-2002, 09:12 PM
Hi,

According to the Help, if I wish for an environment variable to be always modified when the application is installed, then I should select the "Always Install" option front the Components drop-down menu. I would like to do this but have been unable to find the option. My setup is a Standard Project.

Cheers
Tony

David Thornley
01-04-2002, 01:12 PM
This is a bug in the Documentation, I have created a Work Order to get this fixed. The Concept of an Always Install Component does not exist in Developer 7.

In order to make sure that an Environement Variable is always Installed, just ensure that it is attached to a component that will always be installed...like you main program executable.

Tony Patterson
01-06-2002, 03:11 PM
Aah okay, thanks David.
I have a utilities setup package which installs 12 or so applications, none of which are compulsory to install. If I set the variable for each of these 12 main components, will I end up with 12 similar settings? i.e. setting the PATH for example.

Cheers
Tony

Stefan Krueger
01-07-2002, 02:58 AM
So I gues you have 12 features. You can make 1 extra component, just for the environment settings, and attach this component to all 12 features.
Or if you have one top level feature ("The Product") with 12 sub features you could attach it to the root feature.