PDA

View Full Version : Win 2000 HKEY_CURRENT_USER, Can't see registry string value. HELP!!!!!

johnyee
01-03-2002, 12:53 PM
I have an application, which read the registry string from HKEY_CURRENT_USER. When I perform the installation as an administrator, I can see the HKEY_CURRENT_USER string. However, when I login as a standard user, the string vanishes. I tried using regedt32 to give full permission to the standard user, but it still does not work. I noticed that Netscape's installation has visible registry strings under HKEY_CURRENT_USER when a standard user login. How can I make the registry string value under HKEY_CURRENT_USER to be visible when a non-admin login?

Thanks,

John
email: john.yee@gmini.com

JacobLevin
01-04-2002, 09:06 AM
The keys/values in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER hive of the registry are available ONLY to the user that is currently logged on.

When you run your install as the administrator and create the key under that hive, when you log in as another user, that key is gone because the administrator is no longer the current user.

Windows saves the hives for each user under HKEY_USERS under a key whose name is some generated string of dashes and numbers ( I don't know how it's generated ).

If you want a key to be in the current user for every new user that is created then I believe you can put a key/value under the .DEFAULT key under HKEY_USERS.

If you want to put a key in all the existing user's accounts, this is slightly more difficult. You would likely have to loop through all the keys under HKEY_USERS and add the key yourself.