PDA

View Full Version : DemoNow

Dave Brown
12-29-2001, 04:28 PM
I'm trying to build a demo that I can launch from my Web site. I have read all the docs and help, but can't figure out what to do if a demo actually consists of multiple demos all strung together (with the launch demo action).

Any suggestions?

TIA

KimberlyH
01-02-2002, 09:06 AM
You can build a DemoNow distribution that contains Launch Demo actions by doing the following:

1. You will need to Import by Reference, the demo you would like to launch, into either the Video tab or the Files tab (if using DS 7.0x) of the Resource Manager.

2. Next, create a Button Object in your main demo that will launch the second demo.

3. Go into the Properties of the Button Object and go to the Actions tab.

4. Create a Launch Demo Action and assign a path to the second demo. It should look something like this: <path>demoname.dbd<path>

5. Save your main demo.

6. Use the Distribution Wizard (located in the Tools menu) to create a DemoNow build of your demo.

Note: When creating a DemoNow save of your demo, the files that have been Imported by Reference are included as a resource with your DemoNow build. We use the Video tab of the Resource Manager to import the .dbd file because this tab will accept various file extensions and store the file as a video resource.

I hope this helps.

Dave Brown
01-02-2002, 10:45 AM
Kim,

You say: "We use the Video tab of the Resource Manager to import the .dbd file because this tab will accept various file extensions and store the file as a video resource."

By this, do you mean I can just reference all (10) of my launched demos in the Video tab and the wizard will include these .dbd's when it builds the html files?

Thanks!

KimberlyH
01-02-2002, 02:15 PM
Yes, you can import by reference the .dbd files into the Video tab of the Resource Manager and DemoShield will automatically include these files with your distribution. Importing them into the Video tab is a way to "trick" DemoShield into including the file as a resource. This way the file will get included with the DemoNow distribution in the same location as the DemoShield Player (demo32.exe).

I hope this helps.

corwinpaq
05-22-2003, 04:15 PM
I am having the same trouble.

I followed your instructions, and all I see upon launching my secondary demo is a black screen.

I almost ready to give up.

Please help.

Dave Brown
05-22-2003, 04:58 PM
I must say that after reading Kim's suiggestions and giving it a couple more hours, I decided to give up too. I appreciated Kim's efforts but either she didn't understand what I was trying to accomplish, or I am just too dumb to understand her instructions.

After creating several hundred Mbs of .dbd files, I thought I could do just about anything in DS7, but I was wrong. I'm sticking with the stuff I can do!

Sorry...

corwinpaq
05-22-2003, 05:19 PM
Hey Dave. Thank you for letting me know that you were unsuccessful as well.

Corwin

corwinpaq
05-28-2003, 09:29 AM
Dave,

I was able to launch a demo from a Launch Demo Action in a DemoNow distribution.

The black screen I was getting was a result of not clicking the "Import by Reference" checkbox BEFORE clicking the Import button.

There is another thread on this forum pertaining to this if you are interested.