PDA

View Full Version : User Logins Within a Demo

jmanos3
12-27-2001, 12:49 PM
Environment: DS 7.01, W2K-SP2

I am creating a software simulation demo consisting of multiple screen shots. The first scene consists of a bitmap login screen where I added two edit fields - user name and password, and a hotspot over a login button which is part of the bitmap.

Each user name has an associated, personalized scene, which I want to transition to based upon the entry into the user name edit field.

My initial attempt and getting this to work properly involved the following.

1. Creating multiple event objects which used custom calculations to check the entry inside the username edit field. If a true condition was found, the transition to the proper scene was made. If a false condition was found, the next event object was initiated.

2. The hotspot was setup to activate the first event object which checked the username.

This did not work for me. Does anyone have the steps needed to accomplish this?

jmanos3
12-27-2001, 05:47 PM
I was able to get things working the way I needed to. However, I am not sure if it is the best method.

I have attached the demo file for reference.

KimberlyH
01-02-2002, 12:06 PM
I took a look at the demo file you provided. It appears you are on the right track. However, I would like to offer some suggestions that will make this a little easier and more consistent.

I have created a sample demo for you to view. What I have done is the following:

I have created a login scene where the user will be prompted for a Username and Password. They will enter the appropriate information into these Edit Fields and then click on the Login button. When they click on the login button, an Event Object will be triggered outside of scene time (for more information on how to set this up, please refer to Knowledge Base Article: Q105130 - HOWTO: Creating a Button Object that will Trigger an Event Object ). The Event Object will write the Username and Password that have been entered into Global String 1 and Global String 2. The user will then be taken to a duplicate scene which looks exactly like the login scene where a series of Event Objects will check the values of the Variables. If the username is correct, a second Event Object will be triggered to check the password. If the username is not correct, a different Event Object will be triggered to check a second possible username. If either the username or password does not match any of the given username and passwords, the user will be prompted with a message stating the username and password are incorrect and to please try again.

If the username and password are correct the user will be taken to the appropriate scene.

Please view the attached demo file for more details.

I hope this helps.

KimberlyH
01-02-2002, 12:07 PM
Here is the attached demo file.

jmanos3
01-04-2002, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the sample demo file. This approach makes sense.

jwsnlutz
03-13-2002, 07:22 PM
Kimberly:

I would greatly appreciate it if you could let me review your sample demo you attached to this thread. I can not open it with Demoshield 6.7

Is there another version you have or another way to get the sample to me.

Thanks Alot,
JWS

KimberlyH
03-14-2002, 05:18 PM
Unfortunately, the demo file I created uses some functionality that was introduced into DemoShield 7.0x. For example, I have set up the login scene to take the value entered in the Edit Fields and transfer the value to a Global Variable. This is a new feature of DemoShield 7.0.

I apologize for any inconvience this may cause.

As a side note, you may want to try downloading an evaluation version of DemoShield 7.0 and you can then use this to open the attached demo file.

All the best,