PDA

View Full Version : Unreachable object actions(events)

Man@Work
12-19-2001, 08:17 PM
I notice in one of the demo templates that a event is set to trigger a 'Left Mouse Up' event to an editbox object.
The actions available in the properties of the editbox object are: True Actions and False Actions only.
Why does the event have control of an action in another object that I can not control manually.

Shawna
12-20-2001, 08:54 AM
What this Event Object is doing is simulating the action of the user clicking (left-click mouse up) in the Edit Field. This way, at the beginning of the Scene, the cursor is already in the Edit Field and the user can just start typing - he doesn't have to click in the Edit Field and then type.

I hope this helps clarify.

Man@Work
12-20-2001, 11:38 PM
Shawna,

Thanks for that.
The event that I spoke of is set to trigger on the user pressing the <enter> key and then the value of the edit box is evaluated.

My question really was: why don't I have access to the 'hidden' actions of the edit box?

Shawna
12-21-2001, 08:55 AM
I guess I don't really see these as "hidden" actions. The Edit Field has a Comparison Key of "Enter" that is used. When the Enter key is pressed, it launches either the True or False actions, which in this case trigger Event Objects.

The Edit Fields don't have regular Actions like Hot Spots or Autoshape Objects do. There isn't any way to do a mouse over effect on an Edit Field, for example, without adding another Object over the Edit Field.

I think that the Event Object that triggers the Left-Click Mouse Up in the Edit Field can be confusing because you wonder how you can do that when there is no Left-Click Mouse Up Action for an Edit Field. But if you think about it, even though there is no such action, you can still click in an Edit Field when running a demo, which is a Left-Click Mouse Up action. The Event Object is just simulating the user doing this.

I hope I am being some help and not just creating more confusion.

jmanos3
12-27-2001, 04:42 PM
I too was confused when I was working with this. Part of the problem is with the terminology. Actions may included events.

It makes sense that an edit field object only has true and false actions because, in most cases, upon exiting an edit field, some comparison may need to be completed. However, since the edit field is an object, you can perfom events on the object, such as left-click mouse down/up.

I have used the tip which describes how to bring to focus an edit field on the screen so the user can start entering data right away. However, I tried the same technique between two edit field and found that it did not work. I will post the problem in a new thread.