PDA

View Full Version : import by reference question

wassup
12-18-2001, 05:36 PM
Thanks Kim, I am now able to view my demo in German. From what I've read, it seems I have to import by reference all my RTFs. The only problem is that what is produced in the ReDist folder is the demo executable plus all my RTFs(which is ugly)! Is there some way I can use import by reference(for different languages) but at the same time have all my RTFs in the DBD file? Thanks

KimberlyH
12-19-2001, 09:49 AM
You can embedd all the RTF files within the Resource Manager. However, in order for DemoShield to display the appropriate file based on the system language, you would need to set up an Event Object to check the Language and then set the contents of the Text Object to display the appropriate RTF file.

To do this, import all your RTF files into the Text tab of the Resource Manager making sure the Import by Reference checkbox is not selected.

Next, create your Text Object within your scene and select the default file you wish to be displayed.

Next, create an Event Object in the scene.
Open the Properties and navigate to the Object Styles tab.
Select the Always Perform True Actions and select Edit.
This will bring up the Condition Builder.
Select Lanuage from the Condition Type drop down menu.
Here you can select the system language you would like to check against.
Type in the three letter language extension that you would like to check for and then click Apply.
Click OK once you have entered your language.

Next, navigate to the Actions tab.
Here you will assign the action to occur if the language has returned a true value (the language matches) or a false value (the language does not match).
For the True Actions assign a Set Contents action to set the contents of the Text Object to the appropriate RTF file.
For the False Actions you can assign another Set Content action to set the contents of the Text Object to a different RTF file if you are only using two different languages. If you are using multiple languages you will need to set up multiple Event Objects to check each language.

The drawback of using this method is that you will need to create Event Objects | Check Lanuage Conditions | Set Contents actions for each Text Object or RTF file you are utilizing in your demo.

I hope this helps.

wassup
01-15-2002, 10:58 AM
Thanks for your help in the past Kim. I am trying to implement the second language as you suggested and I am having a problem. I created the Event Object as you suggested but I need it to be called when a Mouse On action occurs for another object. I tried to just call my new event object from the Mouse On action and it apears to not call the correct resource and the formatting is all wrong. Is there a way for me to call my Event Object that checks the language from the Mouse On action or do I need to go about this another way? Thanks in advance for your help.

KimberlyH
01-15-2002, 03:02 PM
You can trigger the Event Object when the user Mouses On the other Object. In order to do this you will need to set the Event Object outside of Scene Time to ensure the Event does not get triggered until you want it to. For example, if the Scene Length is 60 seconds, set the Event Object to start at 61 seconds.

Next, under the mouse on event, assign a Trigger Event action. We can set up the Trigger Event action to trigger the Event Object based on time. The settings should look something like this:

Scene Name: Scene you are currently working on
Object Name: the Event Object
Event Name: Time
Event Trigger Time: 1 second past the start time for the Event. In this example the Event Trigger Time would be 62 seconds. You want to set it just past the Start Time of the Event Object to push DemoShield just past the Event.

Once you have this set up. Save your demo and test. For more information on how to set this up you can refer to Knowledge Base Article: Q105130 - HOWTO: Creating a Button Object that will Trigger an Event Object

I hope this helps.