PDA

View Full Version : How to re-use resource in Demoshield

Deleest
12-13-2001, 06:39 AM
Grettings

I'm creating a media in 7 languages

Here is the final structure of my CD

file1.dbd (the gateway to all languages)
\lang_1
demo.dbd
\lang_2
demo.dbd
\lang_7
demo.dbd

Each of those language use separate RTF files for the text so I have only one demo to develop and I have just to translate the RTF file to have my 7 languages.

My problem is :
I would like to be able to re-use the same images for each language, without duplicates them in each directory.

KimberlyH
12-18-2001, 09:10 AM
To help me understand this issue further I will need some additional information.

When you mention images in your demo, are you referring to graphics? Are these graphics localized for the each language? If not then you can embed the graphics into the DemoShield Resource Manager (make sure the Import by reference checkbox is not selected) and use the same graphics for each language. If the graphics are localized for each language, then you would need to Import them by Reference and place a copy of the localized graphic into the appropriate language folder.

I did want to mention about the directory structure you have listed in your posting that you do not need to place a copy of the .dbd file in each language folder. Instead create the .dbd file in the base language you would like to use. Then create a language folder to hold any resources that may be Imported by Reference. If you are using DemoShield 6.7 or earlier, you can also place the localized .dat file in the language folder. Therefore you directory structure should look something like this:

demo32.exe
demo.dbd
demo.dat

FRA
file.rtf
graphic.bmp
demo.fra

ESP
file.rtf
graphic.bmp
demo.esp

RUS
file.rtf
graphic.bmp
demo.rus

I hope this helps.

Deleest
12-18-2001, 10:23 AM
Thank you KIM for your quick reply.

I've finally found a solution in the Demoshield help.

Here is the final structure of my CD

[image]
[text]
[video]
[lang_1]
[lang_2]
[lang_n]
Demo32.exe
gateway.dbd

As it is said in the help file, each demo search for file in the same directory and sub-directories of the demo player.

So I've got all the common image in the [image] directory (same for video and texts).

And each language as its own texts and images (lang_1, lang_2, lang_n...)

I can't use FRA, ESP, RUS... directory structure, because each user might to choose a language from the gateway.

Thank you. :)