PDA

View Full Version : Multiple CDs

goodwind
12-11-2001, 10:37 AM
My product distribution has increased to 2 CD's. CD1 contains a CD Browser developed with DemoShield 6.0 using the Distribution Wizard. A button on the CD browser launches an InstallShield Professional product installation which calls CD2 to complete the load. After installation completes with CD2, a WinNT system error message alerts the user that the wrong volume is detected in the CDROM drive, and requires the user to re-insert CD1. Why? How can I avoid this request and have the installation gracefully close when the load from CD2 is completed.

KimberlyH
12-11-2001, 11:07 AM
When launching your demo from a CD, the demo is running locally from the CD. Therefore, if you remove the first CD while the demo is still running, DemoShield will not be able to close the demo file.

A Multi-CD option was incorporated into DemoShield with version 6.5. This allows you to distribute your demo and installation files on multiple cds. The way this works is, when the CD is placed in the CD-Rom, all files in the same directory as the DemoShield Player (demo32.exe) are copied to the end user's Temp directory and the demo is played from there. This allows the end user to remove the CD without disrupting the demo.

Another option for you to try is building a single executable distribution of your demo and performing an autorun on the single exe file. A single executable file will extract all files to the end user's Temp directory and run the demo from there as well. However, I have not tested this option fully. And cannot guarantee that this will work.

You may want to consider upgrading to the latest version of DemoShield (version 7.01) and testing out the multi-cd option. If you are interested you can download an evaluation version from the following URL:

http://www.installshield.com/downloads.

I hope this helps.