PDA

View Full Version : HELP: Simple Question!!!

phoonzang
12-11-2001, 01:34 AM
Hi, a very simple (I hope) question. Is there a way to include a folder and all its subfolders automatically when adding (linking) files in the 'File Groups' section of a project??

What if I have 1000 folders to add!? I cannot do this manually for each folder, surely there is a way to add a folder and let Installshield recurse through all its subdirectories as well (adding all files). So far I have only been able to insert files, not directories.

PLEASE help I am desperately trying to figure this out for work!!

Thanks, Phoonzang

JacobLevin
12-11-2001, 08:53 AM
You can make your file group contain a dynamic link that will recurse through a specific folder structure.

You can even filter in specific file types to be included in the group.

In the file group properties the top property is the link type. If you double click on this to set it and you set it to "Dynamic Link" you can specify the folder and other options such as wildcards to filter files and whether you want to include sub-folders.

Note that this will put all these files in one file group and restore the whole structure on the target under the target for that file group.

phoonzang
12-11-2001, 05:20 PM
Where exactly can I find the file group properties?

I can't seem to access them anywhere, so I cannot find the 'link type' setting..... :[

Any ideas? I am using the project wizard to generate a project if it makes any difference...

Thanks in advance...

JacobLevin
12-11-2001, 06:44 PM
If you go to the file groups tab ( the tab on the lower left whose icon looks like a number of pieces of paper lined up vertically ) then select one of the file groups in the left view area.

I have attached a screenshot of the Professional 6.31 product with a file group selected and the "File group link type" property highlighted

phoonzang
12-11-2001, 06:49 PM
Thanks, I am using InstallShield for Microsoft Visual C++ v6.0

I don't have that property that you refer to (the first property listed is 'shared')

Is there any way this version of Installshield will let me do what I need to get around this ?

Thanks....