12-10-2001, 04:45 AM
Hi,

I'm still new in InstallShield and I'm trying to create an upgrade
installation.
I have an older installtion which I've updated and changed its
ProductVersion property. I've added an entry in the upgrade table with the
upgrade code of the product. Does the new version should have a different
upgrade code from the older version upgrade code? Do I need to change the
ProductCode property for the new version?

thanks
Erez

Chandima
12-11-2001, 10:49 AM
Are you using Developer 7.0?
If so, is this a Standard Project or Msi Project?

Have you created an entry for SecureCustomProperties in the Property Table (Developer does this for you automatically)?

What is the Product Code of the Version 1 install?
What is the Upgrade Code of the Version 1 install?
What is it's Verison Number?

What is the Product Code of the Version 2 install?
What is the Upgrade Code of the Version 2 install?
What is it's Verison Number?

What are the values you specified in the Upgrade Table?

erez_zi
12-11-2001, 10:58 AM
My problem was that the dll files version was not changed and therefore, the old dll files were not replaced.

gcheung
07-28-2003, 01:57 AM
hi, i am a newbie to IS. (my ex-colleague left the company and he left the IS to me also. now, the new version of THE software is going to release, say from 3.3 to 3.4. the package upgrade is needed!)

My problem is i have tried several ways but the package cannot still be upgraded.

-- IS Developer 7.02
-- Standard Project

-- Old Version
Product Code: {2C84F16D-56A6-4065-B806-FA9627E5DA1C}
Upgrade Code: {DB2A8017-34FF-4A40-95E1-EB18D7AEC6C9}
Product Version: 3.3.0000

-- New Version
Product Code and Upgrade Code are the same as Old Version.
Product Version: 3.4.0000

-- SecureCustomProperties in the Property Table
where to check this??

-- Upgrade Table
where to check this??

I could post you the *.rul files if necessary.

Waiting for your reply. Thanks for your attention.

aligang
07-28-2003, 01:10 PM
I'm not sure if this will help you but you can look in the ViewList of the IDE when you've opened the project and at the very bottom, you'll find the Direct Editor. Click on this and then in the next column, you can choose the tables you're looking for, Upgrade and Property Tables.

You'll need to add the UpgradeCode of the earlier version to the UpgradeCode column, the Version under the VersionMax Column and set the Attributes Column to something like 517. See Windows Installer Help for a better explanation of which value is best for you to use in the Attributes column. The other column to populate is the ActionProperty Col and here you can use the property, OLDPRODUCTS. Be sure to check that this value is then in the Property Table under the SecureCustomProperty property. If it's not there then add it to the property table.

There are other fine details then which might need to be set so I recommend using the Knowledge base and look for articles dealing with Upgrades, such as Q105223.

aligang
07-28-2003, 01:13 PM
One other thing, you must make sure that the Upgrade code of the old product is different, even by one number, from the Upgrade code of the New Product.