PDA

View Full Version : MakeCab?

francisco
12-07-2001, 09:31 AM
Hi all,

I am interested in command line facilities of IS Developer 7 and I have found MakeCab.exe (among others). My question is if this program allows to compress several files in a single cabinet or only one. Anothe question is if there is some tool similar of former ISCAB.exe tool for IS 7.

Thank you in advance,
Frank.

Mike Marino
12-07-2001, 02:26 PM
Makecab.exe is a tool from Microsoft. Documentation on how to use this executable can be found in the Windows Installer Help Library under the topic: "Generate File Cabinet"

Another thing to look at is the article:
Microsoft Cabinet SDK

on the MSDN web site (http://msdn.microsoft.com/)

Hope this helps,
Mike Marino

francisco
12-10-2001, 03:58 AM
Hi Mike,

Since I know prevous InstallShield's cabinets (IS 5 and IS 6) were not Microsoft compliant. That means new IS 7 cabinet files are Microsoft compliant?

Thanks,
Frank.

Chandima
12-11-2001, 10:44 AM
What do you mean by Microsoft compliant? Developer 7 is based on the Microsoft Windows Installer technology and the cabs we generate work fine with it. So I am assuming this would make it Microsoft Compliant.

francisco
12-11-2001, 11:16 AM
I'm not familiar with InstallShield Developer, but with InstallShield Professional the resulsting CAB files couldn't be managed by Microsoft's CAB-SDK (cabarc.exe, MakeCab.exe, extract.exe). The CAB technology used was not MS compliant. I suppose this changes with IS Developer, in addition to new features, that makes IS Developer a more MS compliant tool. Am I right?

Thank,
Frank.

Chandima
12-12-2001, 11:09 AM
You are correct. I tried Extract.exe on a Developer built cab and it extracted the files without any problems or errors. Also as I mentioned earlier Develeloper revolves around the Microsoft Windows Installer. So it is Microsoft Compliant. Hope this clears up your question.

Mike Marino
12-17-2001, 10:22 AM
InstallShield Developer creates Microsoft compliant CAB files whereas InstallShield Professional did not. So Microsoft's CAB tools and SDK will work on CAB files built with Developer. The reason this was changed has more to do with the engine used to decompress and transfer files. Developer uses Microsoft's MSI engine for this process, so Microsoft compliant CAB files are a must.

InstallShield Professional does not use Microsoft's MSI engine for this process, thus used it's own CAB format, and had a set of it's own tools for CAB file management.