PDA

View Full Version : Delphi Installshield Express 1.0 corrupts BDE!



NewsArchive
09-09-1996, 12:00 AM
Hello,
I've been quite disappointed with the Installshield express (1.0) that
shipped with Delphi.

I built my 32 bit install including a full BDE install and 2 aliases that
I try to create. The install then changes the registry to use
IDAPINEW.CFG (or somesuch) rather than IDAPI.CFG.

Furthermore, the 'merging' of BDE configuration fails and the
registry is left pointing to the new file and consequently no
aliases exist. I have to manually set the entry back to
IDAPI.CFG (not something that users of my program
are likely to, nor should they do).
I am concerned that this will happen to my
users if they should install more than once giving them
a horrendous out-of-box experience.

Am I missing an obvious setting that would make
Installshield express 1.0 WORK ? I do need to install
the BDE and I do wish to use aliases and I DO want
support for the version I now own (do you support
the 1.0 Delphi release?)

I've seen from other postings that I'm not alone in
this problem so I'm anxious for your solution.

NewsArchive
09-11-1996, 12:00 AM
Michael Taylor <mtaylor@prolog.net> wrote
> I've been quite disappointed with the Installshield express (1.0) that
> shipped with Delphi.
>
> I built my 32 bit install including a full BDE install and 2 aliases that
> I try to create. The install then changes the registry to use
> IDAPINEW.CFG (or somesuch) rather than IDAPI.CFG.
>
> Furthermore, the 'merging' of BDE configuration fails and the
> registry is left pointing to the new file and consequently no
> aliases exist. I have to manually set the entry back to
> IDAPI.CFG (not something that users of my program
> are likely to, nor should they do).
> I am concerned that this will happen to my
> users if they should install more than once giving them
> a horrendous out-of-box experience.


Have you read the Express Knowledge Base article X1033 entitled "A 'Merging
the Configuration File Has Failed' Message Is Received During BDE
Installation"?

Ritesh

NewsArchive
09-14-1996, 12:00 AM
Yes I have.
The Idapi32.cfg file is NOT read only.
The BDE config file is NOT running when I test the install.
The IDAPI configuration file is NOT corrupt (running a
test merge works just fine).
This is NOT a 16-bit attempt but an attempt to install
with the shipping 1.0 version with Delphi 2.0

That covers the scenarios outlined in your paper.

There IS an alias already in the BDE when I run it.
The install fails on the merge
and leaves the registry entry pointing to the newly
created IDAPINEW.CFG file which contains
NO aliases and effectively makes all aliases
on the user machine inaccessible. I see this
as a problem.

Just WHAT happens if my users should install
more than once? Or upgrade from me (which they
won't if the install doesn't work!!).

I'd love to get some use out of Installshield express
since its the primary reason I opted for the
Desktop version of Delphi!!

Ritesh <support@installshield.com> wrote in article
<01bba022$ec04f260$3746b1cc@Ritesh.installshield.com>...
> Michael Taylor <mtaylor@prolog.net> wrote
> > I've been quite disappointed with the Installshield express (1.0) that
> > shipped with Delphi.
> >
> > I built my 32 bit install including a full BDE install and 2 aliases
that
> > I try to create. The install then changes the registry to use
> > IDAPINEW.CFG (or somesuch) rather than IDAPI.CFG.
> >
> > Furthermore, the 'merging' of BDE configuration fails and the
> > registry is left pointing to the new file and consequently no
> > aliases exist. I have to manually set the entry back to
> > IDAPI.CFG (not something that users of my program
> > are likely to, nor should they do).
> > I am concerned that this will happen to my
> > users if they should install more than once giving them
> > a horrendous out-of-box experience.
>
>
> Have you read the Express Knowledge Base article X1033 entitled "A
'Merging
> the Configuration File Has Failed' Message Is Received During BDE
> Installation"?
>
> Ritesh
>

NewsArchive
09-16-1996, 12:00 AM
Michael Taylor <mtaylor@prolog.net> wrote
> Yes I have.
> The Idapi32.cfg file is NOT read only.
> The BDE config file is NOT running when I test the install.
> The IDAPI configuration file is NOT corrupt (running a
> test merge works just fine).
> This is NOT a 16-bit attempt but an attempt to install
> with the shipping 1.0 version with Delphi 2.0
>
> That covers the scenarios outlined in your paper.
>
> There IS an alias already in the BDE when I run it.
> The install fails on the merge
> and leaves the registry entry pointing to the newly
> created IDAPINEW.CFG file which contains
> NO aliases and effectively makes all aliases
> on the user machine inaccessible. I see this
> as a problem.
>
> Just WHAT happens if my users should install
> more than once? Or upgrade from me (which they
> won't if the install doesn't work!!).
>
> I'd love to get some use out of Installshield express
> since its the primary reason I opted for the
> Desktop version of Delphi!!
>

Since you are creating an installation for a 16-bit application, you should
use ISX Professional. ISX Pro can create a 16-bit installation. You can
get an evaluation copy of ISX Professional from the InstallShield web site.
Goto http://www.installshield.com/ and select "InstallShield Express
Professional Available Now".

Ritesh

NewsArchive
09-17-1996, 12:00 AM
I'm afraid you misread my message (see below!!).
I'll try to be more clear:

This is NOT a 16-bit install (I read the readme files!!!).
This IS a 32-bit install of a Delphi 2.0 application
(which is also 32-bit) that includes the BDE and
2 aliases and uses Installshield express 1.0 (Delphi edition).

My concerns are:

Does the version with Delphi work for 32 bit BDE
installations that include aliases?
Was this tested?
Is there a work-around?
Will the install work if the user ALREADY has
BDE installed and the aliases exist?
(My tests seem to indicate - NO).
And most importantly, if this is indeed a
bug with the product, does installshield
have any intention of providing a patch or
is your recommendation that I spend
$200 on the 'good faith' that the 1.1
version will work? (Frankly the WISE
install program works better and costs
less but I really had hoped that your
product would function).

It might be a nice product if only I could get it
to work. If you are telling me that you will not
support the version I have, please be clear.

Ritesh <support@installshield.com> wrote in article
<01bba418$bac89ae0$3746b1cc@Ritesh.installshield.com>...
> Michael Taylor <mtaylor@prolog.net> wrote
> > Yes I have.
> > The Idapi32.cfg file is NOT read only.
> > The BDE config file is NOT running when I test the install.
> > The IDAPI configuration file is NOT corrupt (running a
> > test merge works just fine).
> > This is NOT a 16-bit attempt but an attempt to install
> > with the shipping 1.0 version with Delphi 2.0
> >
> > That covers the scenarios outlined in your paper.
> >
> > There IS an alias already in the BDE when I run it.
> > The install fails on the merge
> > and leaves the registry entry pointing to the newly
> > created IDAPINEW.CFG file which contains
> > NO aliases and effectively makes all aliases
> > on the user machine inaccessible. I see this
> > as a problem.
> >
> > Just WHAT happens if my users should install
> > more than once? Or upgrade from me (which they
> > won't if the install doesn't work!!).
> >
> > I'd love to get some use out of Installshield express
> > since its the primary reason I opted for the
> > Desktop version of Delphi!!
> >
>
> Since you are creating an installation for a 16-bit application, you
should
> use ISX Professional. ISX Pro can create a 16-bit installation. You can
> get an evaluation copy of ISX Professional from the InstallShield web
site.
> Goto http://www.installshield.com/ and select "InstallShield Express
> Professional Available Now".
>
> Ritesh
>
>

NewsArchive
09-18-1996, 12:00 AM
I have had a similar problem!
rené

Michael Taylor <mtaylor@prolog.net> wrote in article
<01bb9de9$eb2175c0$2208bacc@mctaylor>...
> Hello,
> I've been quite disappointed with the Installshield express (1.0) that
> shipped with Delphi.
>
> I built my 32 bit install including a full BDE install and 2 aliases that
> I try to create. The install then changes the registry to use
> IDAPINEW.CFG (or somesuch) rather than IDAPI.CFG.
>
> Furthermore, the 'merging' of BDE configuration fails and the
> registry is left pointing to the new file and consequently no
> aliases exist. I have to manually set the entry back to
> IDAPI.CFG (not something that users of my program
> are likely to, nor should they do).
> I am concerned that this will happen to my
> users if they should install more than once giving them
> a horrendous out-of-box experience.
>
> Am I missing an obvious setting that would make
> Installshield express 1.0 WORK ? I do need to install
> the BDE and I do wish to use aliases and I DO want
> support for the version I now own (do you support
> the 1.0 Delphi release?)
>
> I've seen from other postings that I'm not alone in
> this problem so I'm anxious for your solution.
>

NewsArchive
09-24-1996, 12:00 AM
Hi there,
Just a follow-up to my posting. I've sent a sample file from
my install attempt (see gory details below). I've also
perused the Delphi forums and got some email from
several other users ALL of whom wonder:
* Does the 32-bit version of your product that ships
with Delphi 2.0 work with BDE aliases???
All evidence appears to indicate: NO
If that is the case, it is unreasonable to expect all
registered Delphi 2.0 users to pay the $200 for the
upgrade to 1.1 which "might" actually work properly.
An official response is eagerly awaited...

Michael Taylor <mtaylor@prolog.net> wrote in article
<01bba43f$0e5d21a0$1f08bacc@mctaylor>...
> I'm afraid you misread my message (see below!!).
> I'll try to be more clear:
>
> This is NOT a 16-bit install (I read the readme files!!!).
> This IS a 32-bit install of a Delphi 2.0 application
> (which is also 32-bit) that includes the BDE and
> 2 aliases and uses Installshield express 1.0 (Delphi edition).
>
> My concerns are:
>
> Does the version with Delphi work for 32 bit BDE
> installations that include aliases?
> Was this tested?
> Is there a work-around?
> Will the install work if the user ALREADY has
> BDE installed and the aliases exist?
> (My tests seem to indicate - NO).
> And most importantly, if this is indeed a
> bug with the product, does installshield
> have any intention of providing a patch or
> is your recommendation that I spend
> $200 on the 'good faith' that the 1.1
> version will work? (Frankly the WISE
> install program works better and costs
> less but I really had hoped that your
> product would function).
>
> It might be a nice product if only I could get it
> to work. If you are telling me that you will not
> support the version I have, please be clear.
>
>

NewsArchive
09-11-1997, 12:00 AM
>
> Maik,
>
> Express only supports the old format... HOWEVER, the team is working
> on it
> :)
>
> Stefan
> ellipse data systems


Are you aware of a time frame for an fix ??

Thanks,

Maik

NewsArchive
09-11-1997, 12:00 AM
On Thu, 11 Sep 1997 07:58:14 -0500, Maik Goettel <mgoettel@abolinc.com>
wrote:
>Are you aware of a time frame for an fix ??

No,

and in fact it doesn't really matter, since both formats (the 8.3 and the
Windows format) are compatible.

If your application uses that key/value, just try to use the function in
Delphi that converts a 8.3-format path to 255-character path. There is one
but I cannot remember the name.

Stefan
ellipse data systems

NewsArchive
09-12-1997, 12:00 AM
Thanks Stefan!

I found an even better way. I use the path registration in
currentWindows .... entries. ISX posts the correct paths there !

Thanks again

Maik

Stefan Paetow wrote:
>
> On Thu, 11 Sep 1997 07:58:14 -0500, Maik Goettel
> <mgoettel@abolinc.com>
> wrote:
> >Are you aware of a time frame for an fix ??
>
> No,
>
> and in fact it doesn't really matter, since both formats (the 8.3 and
> the
> Windows format) are compatible.
>
> If your application uses that key/value, just try to use the function
> in
> Delphi that converts a 8.3-format path to 255-character path. There is
> one
> but I cannot remember the name.
>
> Stefan
> ellipse data systems

NewsArchive
09-12-1997, 12:00 AM
On Fri, 12 Sep 1997 08:00:04 -0500, Maik Goettel <mgoettel@abolinc.com>
wrote:
>I found an even better way. I use the path registration in
>currentWindows .... entries. ISX posts the correct paths there !

It is always a pleasure... Hope it works now :)

Stefan
ellipse data systems

NewsArchive
09-26-1997, 12:00 AM
As a side note to all, IS Express version 1.11 ships with Delphi 3.0x.

-Jeff


Michael Taylor wrote:

> Hello,
> I've been quite disappointed with the Installshield express (1.0) that
>
> shipped with Delphi.
>
> I built my 32 bit install including a full BDE install and 2 aliases
> that
> I try to create. The install then changes the registry to use
> IDAPINEW.CFG (or somesuch) rather than IDAPI.CFG.
>
> Furthermore, the 'merging' of BDE configuration fails and the
> registry is left pointing to the new file and consequently no
> aliases exist. I have to manually set the entry back to
> IDAPI.CFG (not something that users of my program
> are likely to, nor should they do).
> I am concerned that this will happen to my
> users if they should install more than once giving them
> a horrendous out-of-box experience.
>
> Am I missing an obvious setting that would make
> Installshield express 1.0 WORK ? I do need to install
> the BDE and I do wish to use aliases and I DO want
> support for the version I now own (do you support
> the 1.0 Delphi release?)
>
> I've seen from other postings that I'm not alone in
> this problem so I'm anxious for your solution.