PDA

View Full Version : Class not registered error



NewsArchive
01-02-1998, 01:00 AM
Hi Stefan,
so, your are one of that guys that can't leave the hands off
their computer even on christmas! Thank you very much !!
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: What entries do you have in that REG file?
We have all registry Entries that are required by our Programm and the
MFC DLLs in that REG-File. We simply exported the registry before
installation and after installation in a textfile and picked out
all differences. These differences we are sending our "problem customers".
From some of these customers we have their registry after failed
installation. After they manually start our REG-File their system runs
fine also. (Of course they have to have their installation in the
default directories, otherwise this can't work)
I will try to attach the REG file to this mail..
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Q:When you make these comparisons, did you change anything in the
setup? Did you change any files or did you perhaps include anything?
Q: What files differ completely?
The _setup.lib differs completely. If I make minor changes e.g. Exchanging
on File with the explorer or simply setting the disk generation from
650MB to 120MB. Then the _setup.lib is changing in size and content.
This is very strange because this file is created at the very beginning
of the disk generation process. If I start generation twice I get only
small differences between the two files.
The _setup.1 file differs only in two small portions.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Disk space problem
I forgot to mention:
Installshield is on drive D: The generated files also. Windows in on C:
free space on C: 150MB; on D:120MB; The Temp-Directory is on C:
Installshield temporarily creates a Temp Dir also on drive D in the
specified directory. We generate the files for CD-Installation (650MB).
Maybe Installshield want this 650MB free space??
I'm trying now with 120MB disk size and have now 300MB free and still the
warning message comes up.
Strange is, that the message does not come from the Installshield itself.
It seems to be a windows message, asking if you want to empty the
recycle bin because of insufficient disk space. Maybe this message
comes from Norton Protection for the recycle bin..
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Q:Forcing update of DLLs..
I don't have this "Always overwrite" option. Maybe because I use
version 1.11 ?
Is it possible to get a version with this option without
costing an arm and a leg??
Meanwhile I have tried some installations where I modified the date
of the DLLs. It seems that Installshield copies only newer files.
Is that right, or does it use the version number inside the DLL?
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Another question arose:
How do I add files to the program group. (A readme file, the helpfile etc.)?
At the moment ther is only one entry in the program group.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Best regards
Linda

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------
Stefan Paetow schrieb in Nachricht
<34a3a92a.2354315@news.installshield.com>...
>On Fri, 26 Dec 1997 00:03:54 +0100, "Linda Spang" <ils@bbs.bybyte.de>
>wrote:
>>"Class not registered" occurs, when starting the program. No error is
>>reported during installation. We are certain, that all necessary DLLs and
>>OCXs are included.
>
>Hmmmm... you might look at the two Windows machines (the one that does run
>fine, and the one that doesn't). See if the one machine has certain Windows
>DLLs that the other one doesn't. Usually it is one of the MFC DLLs or an
>OLE DLL.
>
>>The problem can be fixed with running a specially prepared REG-File, that
>>does the registration manually. So it seems to be a problem of the self
>>registration process. In any case it is not a solution to register
manually.
>
>What entries do you have in that REG file?
>
>>1. When the disk generation process is started several times the
>>"_setup.lib" file is varying every time. The file size and / or content is
>
>_setup.lib contains a variety of files that are necessary to run the
>installation.
>
>When you make these comparisons, did you change anything in the setup? Did
>you change any files or did you perhaps include anything?
>
>>the content is not the same. The files differ completely. The _setup.1
file
>>also differs, but only in small portions (maybe the date or version
entries)
>
>What files differ completely?
>
>>2. When running the disk generation process sometimes a messagebox appears
>>complaining about free space on the disk and asking for deleting files in
>>the trash bin. We have more than 120MB free disk space and the complete
>>program package has only 16MB size. Looking with the Explorer on the disk
>>always shows more than 120MB free. Running Scandisk did not reveal any
disk
>>errors.
>
>This is odd. I agree.
>
>>How much disk space is needed by Installshield, or is the message
nonsense?
>
>Usually I calculate the needed diskspace as the amount of the installation
>(uncompressed) multiplied by 2 plus the size of the installation
>(compressed).
>
>>This causes trouble, because some DLLs depend on each other and I get
>>inconsistent combinations of DLLs. Also we can not guarantee for the
proper
>>function of the program any longer, when we do not know what DLL/OCX is
>
>You can set it to always overwrite the files. This however can also
>compromise the applications.
>
>>Is our assumption true, or does the version number influence the
>>installation? Is there a possibility to force the installation of the DLL?
>
>Yes there is. Select the group you want to modify, click on "Modify Group"
>and set the overwrite options to "Always overwrite". Please do note that
>this will include ALL the files in the group.
>
>If you want to only do this with certain files, you can always include them
>in a seperate group.
>
>Stefan
>ellipse data systems

NewsArchive
01-03-1998, 01:00 AM
On Fri, 2 Jan 1998 17:50:28 +0100, "Linda Spang" <ils@bbs.bybyte.de> wrote:
>so, your are one of that guys that can't leave the hands off
>their computer even on christmas! Thank you very much !!

Actually I was delayed for 4 days (the last 4 days) from working due to a
severe appendicitis. Anyway.... let's see :)

>fine also. (Of course they have to have their installation in the
>default directories, otherwise this can't work)
>I will try to attach the REG file to this mail..

Hmmm, how about including those options in your Registry option, and using
<INSTALLDIR> for your install directory, and <WINDIR> for your Windows
directory.

According to the registry file you sent me, your OCXes are not always
registering correctly. You see, MFC42.DLL is dependent on DLLs that are not
on the target machine. You can use Windows95's QuickView facility to see
which DLLs MFC42.DLL is dependent on. Then include these DLLs in your
installation.

>650MB to 120MB. Then the _setup.lib is changing in size and content.
>This is very strange because this file is created at the very beginning

It is actually strange. You are using ISX 1.11a? But your installation
still runs fine?

>Installshield is on drive D: The generated files also. Windows in on C:
>free space on C: 150MB; on D:120MB; The Temp-Directory is on C:
>Installshield temporarily creates a Temp Dir also on drive D in the
>specified directory. We generate the files for CD-Installation (650MB).
>Maybe Installshield want this 650MB free space??

How big are your files that are included into the installation? Yes,
InstallShield needs a huge amount of temp space. This is due to the fact
that InstallShield takes a snapshot of the files in the installation by
copying them into a directory and then compressing them.

>recycle bin because of insufficient disk space. Maybe this message
>comes from Norton Protection for the recycle bin..

Try to disable Norton Protection.

>Is it possible to get a version with this option without
>costing an arm and a leg??

You can upgrade. The best is to call InstallShield Germany. They are
located in Ulm. The address is:

Neutorstra├če 16
D-89073 Ulm
Germany.

Their telephone number is: 0731 96-25-50
Their fax number is: 0731 96-25-53-3

>Meanwhile I have tried some installations where I modified the date
>of the DLLs. It seems that Installshield copies only newer files.
>Is that right, or does it use the version number inside the DLL?

You can select whether it should copy files with a newer date, or with a
newer version.

>How do I add files to the program group. (A readme file, the helpfile etc.)?
>At the moment ther is only one entry in the program group.

Very easy - open your Windows Explorer. Then select the file(s) you want to
include in the project. Then drag it down onto the Express icon on the
Taskbar and wait for Express to pop up. Make sure that your Groups window
in Express is open, and drag your file directly into the group you want it
to be placed in.

Stefan
ellipse data systems