PDA

View Full Version : Strange Progress Indicator Behavior



NewsArchive
10-08-1996, 12:00 AM
My setup:
Visual Basic 4.0, 16-bit compiler, running under Windows 95
IBM PC 350, 48 Meg Ram, P133 (development machine)
Installshield Express for VB

I run installshield on my VB project and it creates three diskettes. Upon usage of these diskettes, the
progress indicator shows the following:

diskette 1, progress indicator goes from 0 to 95%
diskette 2, during entire diskette 2 usage, progress indicator stays on 95%
diskette 3, during entire diskette 3 usage, progress indicator stays on 95%,

Even when progress indicator disappears, it is still reading 95%. I've tried on different target machines,
including windows 3.1, win-os2, and windows 95 with no differences. The diskettes 2 and 3 are not empty.
All the diskettes are actually loading files. I even tried loading on "clean windows machines" (i.e. no
visual basic files were ever installed on them).

Any idea what is going on? How can I fix this? We are getting very negative comments from our initial beta
users. They say this is very strange and misleading. I could take away the progress indicator, but that is
almost a necessity. We purchased a full copy of installshield 3, but I am told it is a lot more complex.

Many thanks,
Tim Giambra
giambra@ix.netcom.com

NewsArchive
10-09-1996, 12:00 AM
Tim Giambra <giambra@ix.netcom.com> wrote
> My setup:
> Visual Basic 4.0, 16-bit compiler, running under Windows 95
> IBM PC 350, 48 Meg Ram, P133 (development machine)
> Installshield Express for VB
>
> I run installshield on my VB project and it creates three diskettes.
Upon usage of these diskettes, the
> progress indicator shows the following:
>
> diskette 1, progress indicator goes from 0 to 95%
> diskette 2, during entire diskette 2 usage, progress indicator stays on
95%
> diskette 3, during entire diskette 3 usage, progress indicator stays on
95%,
>
> Even when progress indicator disappears, it is still reading 95%. I've
tried on different target machines,
> including windows 3.1, win-os2, and windows 95 with no differences. The
diskettes 2 and 3 are not empty.
> All the diskettes are actually loading files. I even tried loading on
"clean windows machines" (i.e. no
> visual basic files were ever installed on them).
>

Does the progress indicator work properly if you make a single disk
installation and run it from the hard drive?

Try the evaluation version of the InstallShield Express Professional, which
can be retrieved from the InstallShield web site.

Ritesh

NewsArchive
10-11-1996, 12:00 AM
"Ritesh" <support@installshield.com> wrote:

>Tim Giambra <giambra@ix.netcom.com> wrote
>> My setup:
>> Visual Basic 4.0, 16-bit compiler, running under Windows 95
>> IBM PC 350, 48 Meg Ram, P133 (development machine)
>> Installshield Express for VB
>>
>> I run installshield on my VB project and it creates three diskettes.
>Upon usage of these diskettes, the
>> progress indicator shows the following:
>>
>> diskette 1, progress indicator goes from 0 to 95%
>> diskette 2, during entire diskette 2 usage, progress indicator stays on
>95%
>> diskette 3, during entire diskette 3 usage, progress indicator stays on
>95%,
>>
>> Even when progress indicator disappears, it is still reading 95%. I've
>tried on different target machines,
>> including windows 3.1, win-os2, and windows 95 with no differences. The
>diskettes 2 and 3 are not empty.
>> All the diskettes are actually loading files. I even tried loading on
>"clean windows machines" (i.e. no
>> visual basic files were ever installed on them).
>>

>Does the progress indicator work properly if you make a single disk
>installation and run it from the hard drive?

I made a Visual Basic project which is Hello World (one command button
that displays the message "Hello Word"). I ran IS Express for VB and
it did exactly the same thing running from the hard disk (very quickly
go to 95% and then never go beyond it). By the way, because of all
the VB baggage, hello world is two diskettes. I will delete some of
the necessary VB files and try it.

>Try the evaluation version of the InstallShield Express Professional, which
>can be retrieved from the InstallShield web site.

I downloaded IS Express Professional and tried it. To my disbelief
(and dismay) here is what happens:

diskette 1, progress indicator goes from 0 -> 9%
diskette 2, progress indicator stays on 9%
diskette 3, progress indicator stays on 9%
The install completes and progress indicator never goes beyond 9%.

Something very wierd is going on here. I could zip up each diskette
and send it to you if you are interested.

Thank you,
Tim

>Ritesh

NewsArchive
10-14-1996, 12:00 AM
giambra@ix.netcom.com wrote:


>>> progress indicator shows the following:
>>>
>>> diskette 1, progress indicator goes from 0 to 95%
>>> diskette 2, during entire diskette 2 usage, progress indicator stays on
>>95%
>>> diskette 3, during entire diskette 3 usage, progress indicator stays on
>>95%,
>>>
>>> Even when progress indicator disappears, it is still reading 95%. I've
>>tried on different target machines,
>>> including windows 3.1, win-os2, and windows 95 with no differences. The
>>diskettes 2 and 3 are not empty.
>>> All the diskettes are actually loading files. I even tried loading on
>>"clean windows machines" (i.e. no
>>> visual basic files were ever installed on them).
>>>

>>Does the progress indicator work properly if you make a single disk
>>installation and run it from the hard drive?

>I made a Visual Basic project which is Hello World (one command button
>that displays the message "Hello Word"). I ran IS Express for VB and
>it did exactly the same thing running from the hard disk (very quickly
>go to 95% and then never go beyond it). By the way, because of all
>the VB baggage, hello world is two diskettes. I will delete some of
>the necessary VB files and try it.

>>Try the evaluation version of the InstallShield Express Professional, which
>>can be retrieved from the InstallShield web site.

>I downloaded IS Express Professional and tried it. To my disbelief
>(and dismay) here is what happens:

> diskette 1, progress indicator goes from 0 -> 9%
> diskette 2, progress indicator stays on 9%
> diskette 3, progress indicator stays on 9%
> The install completes and progress indicator never goes beyond 9%.

The progress indicator moving seems to be related to whether
InstallShield is installing my PROGRAM FILES versus installing
WINDOWS SYSTEM files.

The progress indicator progresses only when it is installing my EXEs,
help files, etc.

The progress indicator never progresses when it is installing WINDOWS
files (VB40016.DLL, OLE2.DLL, etc.)

Tim

NewsArchive
10-15-1996, 12:00 AM
giambra@ix.netcom.com wrote
> The progress indicator moving seems to be related to whether
> InstallShield is installing my PROGRAM FILES versus installing
> WINDOWS SYSTEM files.
>
> The progress indicator progresses only when it is installing my EXEs,
> help files, etc.
>
> The progress indicator never progresses when it is installing WINDOWS
> files (VB40016.DLL, OLE2.DLL, etc.)

The progress indicator tells you how much of the files in your installation
have been transferred. Most likely, the files going into Windows directory
are already on the system, so there is no need to transfer them.

Ritesh

NewsArchive
10-16-1996, 12:00 AM
"Ritesh" <support@installshield.com> wrote:

>The progress indicator tells you how much of the files in your installation
>have been transferred. Most likely, the files going into Windows directory
>are already on the system, so there is no need to transfer them.

>Ritesh

I think that is the problem. I haven't tried on a "clean" windows
system yet, but on repeated installs on the same machine, it still
copies the WINDOWS SYSDIR files even though they are already on the
disk.

What I need (which is what I'm think your product is supposed to do)
is that if the files are already there, it should skip over them and
the progress indicator would look fine. If the files are not there,
it should copy them and update the progress indicator accordingly.

Do you know why it would copy all the windows sysdir files even though
they are already on the disk?

We purchased a copy of the full version of InstallShield 3, but I was
hoping I wouldn't have to use it, only because of the time involved in
learning the product.

Thank you for your time,
Tim Giambra