PDA

View Full Version : BDE - BLOB Caching Parameters



NewsArchive
10-19-1997, 12:00 AM
Hi,

I'm using Delphi 3 C/S with BDE 4.0. Using InstallShield Express 2.01
purchased a couple of months ago.

I've been successfully creating / setting BDE aliases using the params
in the General Options / BDE / Settings until now but have run into a
problem I don't know how to work around.

I'm working with an Oracle database and currently set the following
optional parameters:
ENABLE INTEGERS=TRUE
BLOB SIZE=32
BLOBS TO CACHE=6000
VENDOR INIT=ORA72.DLL
USER NAME=guest
SERVER NAME=hpdemo.world

Both the BLOB SIZE and BLOBS TO CACHE settings aren't getting set on the
target machine, but they seem to get set when I do a test install on my
machine. The only work around I've found is to put a .REG file with
those parameters set for the following key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Borland\Database
Engine\Settings\DRIVERS\ORACLE]

but.... I suspect the .REG file doesn't get loaded till after the BDE
Alias is created, so on a clean install there appears to be no way to
get BLOB caching parameters set.

Any thoughts??

Thanks muchly,
Peter

NewsArchive
10-20-1997, 12:00 AM
On Sun, 19 Oct 1997 13:54:12 -0600, Peter Cunningham
<PCunningham@compuserve.com> wrote:
>but.... I suspect the .REG file doesn't get loaded till after the BDE
>Alias is created, so on a clean install there appears to be no way to
>get BLOB caching parameters set.

Can I ask something? You DID add those into the Extra Parameters box in
Step 3 of the BDE Wizard right?

If so, then those settings will be in effect for your specific ALIAS only.
You can always add the registry key into your Registry item in the Express
process... or use an extension if you don't want that key removed.

Stefan
ellipse data systems

NewsArchive
10-20-1997, 12:00 AM
Thanks for the response Stefan...

Stefan Paetow wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Oct 1997 13:54:12 -0600, Peter Cunningham
> <PCunningham@compuserve.com> wrote:
> >but.... I suspect the .REG file doesn't get loaded till after the
> BDE
> >Alias is created, so on a clean install there appears to be no way to
>
> >get BLOB caching parameters set.
>
> Can I ask something? You DID add those into the Extra Parameters box
> in
> Step 3 of the BDE Wizard right?

Yes, that's where I added the setting

>
>
> If so, then those settings will be in effect for your specific ALIAS
> only.

But... those settings are NOT in effect for my specific (or any other)
alias. All other settings (cut & pasted from InstallSheild's 3rd
dialog in the BDE settings) are properly installed, it appears
InstallShield (or perhaps Borland's alias manipulation tool that
InstallShield uses) doesn't handle those settings.

> You can always add the registry key into your Registry item in the
> Express
> process... or use an extension if you don't want that key removed.

Not quite clear on what you're saying here. Here's what I think you
mean:
add the registry key using "Make Registry Changes". Do you figure this
step is done before the BDE configuration step? By an extension (pardon
my new-ness to InstallShield) do you mean write a special add-on program
to handle this? I could do but it didn't seem likely that I'm the first
in the world to have this problem.

Peter

NewsArchive
10-20-1997, 12:00 AM
Stefan:

> Can I ask something? You DID add those into the Extra Parameters box
> in
> Step 3 of the BDE Wizard right?
>
> If so, then those settings will be in effect for your specific ALIAS
> only.

I was thinking a little more about this question... is there somewhere
else that settings can be applied to more than JUST my specific alias?

> You can always add the registry key into your Registry item in the
> Express
> process... or use an extension if you don't want that key removed.

Also thinking more about this. I think I see what you mean, but do you
know of an existing command-line (or executable from Installshield) type
of program that will load registry settings? I would hate to write
what I can borrow ;-`)

And/Or, do you know when in the install process a .REG file gets loaded
with respect to when the BDE Alias Cfg tool gets run?

Thanks again for your help?

NewsArchive
10-21-1997, 12:00 AM
On Mon, 20 Oct 1997 21:23:31 -0600, Peter Cunningham
<PCunningham@compuserve.com> wrote:
>Thanks for the response Stefan...

no problem.

> add the registry key using "Make Registry Changes". Do you figure this
>step is done before the BDE configuration step? By an extension (pardon

This step will be reversed if you uninstall the application.

>my new-ness to InstallShield) do you mean write a special add-on program
>to handle this? I could do but it didn't seem likely that I'm the first

Yes. A small C-style DLL is sufficient. I haven't actually had any problems
with my BDE installations. But it might be because I don't work with SQL
servers too often.

Stefan
ellipse data systems

NewsArchive
10-21-1997, 12:00 AM
On Mon, 20 Oct 1997 21:33:26 -0600, Peter Cunningham
<PCunningham@compuserve.com> wrote:
>I was thinking a little more about this question... is there somewhere
>else that settings can be applied to more than JUST my specific alias?

You can use an extension. However I will ask the Express people to take a
look at this... It seems that the GENERAL settings of the BDE should be
able to be set.

>of program that will load registry settings? I would hate to write
>what I can borrow ;-`)

hehehehehe... Delphi has the complete BDE API. You can write a small API
calling the proper BDE functions to set that.

>And/Or, do you know when in the install process a .REG file gets loaded
>with respect to when the BDE Alias Cfg tool gets run?

No. But I know it is pretty late in the process. This means that the
registry setting will be set AFTER the BDE functions are called.

Stefan
ellipse data systems