PDA

View Full Version : Environment Variables for Automated Build Process - Doesn't "work" in Developer 7.01 but does in Pro

NewsArchive
12-06-2001, 01:00 AM

NewsArchive
12-06-2001, 01:00 AM

NewsArchive
12-07-2001, 01:00 AM

NewsArchive
12-07-2001, 01:00 AM

wesleyburke
12-10-2001, 11:36 AM
David,
Thanks again for your response, putting DIRAPPFILES into the defined value as well as the name of the path variable works for Environment variables set both via the My Computer route or via the Dos box!
Kind Regards
Wesley

"David Thornley" <davidt@installshield.com> wrote in message news:3c10f6df$1@news.installshield.com...
I don't think that setting the environment variable from the command prompt will work because that just sets the variable for the DOS shell that is currently running. You are correct in adding it from MyComputer.

In the path variables view, did you *name* your PathVariable DIRAPPFILES. If so that is not enough. You also need to give it a "Defined Value" of DIRAPPFILES. Until the Current Value is something other than Undefined the path recommendation dialog will not consider this a valid path variable...which is why you are not seeing it recommended to you.

Regards
David Thornley
"Wesley Burke" <none> wrote in message news:3c10f54b@news.installshield.com...
David, Thanks for your response.
I set DIRAPPFILES in a command prompt [set DIRAPPFILES=e:\Installshield\ProductName]
I add DIRAPPFILES to the Path Variables in the project, and change the Type to Environment and the currentl value is **UNDEFINED**
I'm sure that if the Environment variable was being correctly picked up that the problem of Recommened Paths wouldn't be occuring.
I have tried adding the variable via My Computer > Properties > Advanced > Enviroment variables > System variables
and also using the set command in a command prompt both of these methods work in Installshield Professional 5.53.
I'm kinda stumped!
Wesley
"David Thornley" <davidt@installshield.com> wrote in message news:3c0fba9f$1@news.installshield.com...
When you are looking at the Path Variables view do you see the value of DIRAPPFILES as in the Current Value column as it appears in the System Environment. If not, this is why you are not seeing the proper path recommendation. You should verify that your Defined Value is your Environment variable name. Also, if you created the environment variable after opening this instance of the IDE you may need to restart the IDE so that it recognizes the new environment settings.

Regards
David Thornley
"Wesley Burke" <none> wrote in message news:3c0f71df@news.installshield.com...
Guys & Gals,

In a Professional 5.53 Project in order to add a new environment variable path it was relatively straight forward:
Open Project > Build > Settings > Variables > Add... > Environment Varialble...
you add 'DIRAPPFILES'
Then you go to File Groups and for each group add a Dynamic Link i.e. <DIRAPPFILES>\Help, <DIRAPPFILES>\Examples, <DIRAPPFILES>\Bin
In Developer 7.01 Project in order to add a new envirornment variable path (as far as I know) you do this:
Open Project > 1. Organize Your Setup - Path Variables
Type 'DIRAPPFILES' where it says 'Click here to add a new item', Change type to 'Environment'
Go to 2. Specify Application Data - Setup Design, Select each Feature > Component > File > Dynamic File Link (Context Menu).
Now you can't just type in <DIRAPPFILES>\Examples as you would in ISP5
If you enter D:\Installshield\ProductName\Examples (DIRAPPFILES is set E:\InstallShield\ProductName to in the enviroment), it doesn't recomment <DIRAPPFILES\Examples as you would expect!!!! It will only do this if the Path Variable is set to Standard and not Environment.....
Is there any solution to this problem?

Thanks in Advance,
Wesley Burke
SEAGULL
w b u r k e {at} s e a g u l l {dot} nl