PDA

View Full Version : Create a setup for an unattended update, that will kill the host process (LE)

btjsteens
01-08-2016, 08:33 AM
Dear all,

I want to create a setup file (single image) in InstallShield LE for unattended installation, from the Visual Studio 2013 IDE.
I have already made modifications to prevent the setup file from asking for Administrator rights. When I start the setup using the arguments "/s /v/qn", the silent install runs OK.

However, I want to start the setup file from the Windows application that is going to have the update, because I want this application to be able to update itself. This is normally not possible, as the installer cannot replace files that are in use. Therefore, I want the setup to automatically close the appropriate process when it detects that the host application is running.

So far, I have not been able to find this functionality. Is it possible in LE, or should I use another version of InstallShield for this? If so, in which version is this included and how is it used?
As a workaround, I have created a custom action that calls a second executable to kill the host process in advance. But this requires me to create and ship another executable, only for this purpose.

Thanks!