PDA

View Full Version : Error 5023: Error building file table



DLee65
09-08-2015, 06:01 AM
I am getting this error when trying to compile the current setup. The basic MSI project compiles successfully on a build machine but will not on my development machine.
I tried uninstalling and reinstalling InstallShield Premier 2015 but that did not resolve the problem.

I have not located any bad characters in the file table, nor any duplicate records which is what is usually recommended for this issue.

Has anyone else encountered this issue where this will compile successfully using the SAB, but not in the IDE? What can I do to resolve the issue?

EDIT: It seems that if I close the IDE and build from a command line the same project then the build works. I can work with this but it is a pain and is not how the app should be working. What else can I do for this?

NOTES:
I am using Windows 7 SP1 Professional within a VMWare Workstation 10 environment.
When comparing the log files from a failed IDE build the build seems to break just as it begins to 'merging modules...'.
Successful Build

Building File table
ISDEV : warning -6245: One or more of the project's components contain .NET properties that require the .NET Framework. It is recommended that the release include the .NET Framework.
Merging modules...
Merging Microsoft Component Category Manager Library: C:\Build\AmazingCharts\Working\Building\Installer\WiseInstaller\MergeModules\Comcat.msm

Failed IDE Build

Building File table
ISDEV : warning -6245: One or more of the project's components contain .NET properties that require the .NET Framework. It is recommended that the release include the .NET Framework.
ISDEV : fatal error -5023: Error building table File
AmazingCharts\AmazingCharts - 1 error(s), 1 warning(s)

EDIT_2:
The command line build succeeds only if I use CruiseControl to launch the process.
I opened a visual studio command line tool and recreated the exact same command line used to build the build when using Cruise Control. The file table will fail to build.
I exported the table looking for duplicate entries. There were none.
I searched for bad characters such as the '@, ?, etc' characters.
If I create a new package, add a file to the new package and compile then that new package compiles successfully. My original package was converted from IS2013.

DLee65
09-08-2015, 09:15 AM
The reason I had so much problem was that this was a result of a dynamic link gone bad. So exporting the file table and checking for duplicate data did not help. Fortunately I had an MSI file that did compile and when I did validation on the file it popped out all kinds of errors on possible conflicts on short file name systems.

I checked the offending component and sure enough none of the dynamically linked files were showing up in the IDE. I right clicked in the file area and selected the option to view dynamic links in the context menu. I removed one of the paths and this solved the problem. I am not certain why this did not rear its head any earlier because our builds have been compiling successfully for quite some time with this problem.